Third and goal: Duke football vs. Virginia Tech

Sitting pretty atop the Coastal Division standings, the No. 19 Blue Devils have the opportunity to beat Virginia Tech for the second consecutive season, this time on their home turf. Kickoff is at 12 p.m. at Wallace Wade Stadium. Here are the keys to this afternoon’s game:

Force Michael Brewer to turn the ball over

Offensively, Virginia Tech relies heavily of a number of extremely talented freshmen for scoring. In fact, 75 percent of the team’s points have been scored by freshmen. Tight end Bucky Hodges and wide receiver Isaiah Ford have caught five touchdown receptions apiece and running back Marshawn Williams has led the team in carries with 119, rushing yards with 469, and touchdowns on the ground with four. All three, however, are still developing and are not going to beat Duke with their individual efforts.

Thus, their production depends highly on the performance of quarterback Michael Brewer, a transfer from Texas Tech. His ability to sling the ball downfield with ease is both his biggest strength and his biggest weakness. He ranks fourth in the conference in passing yards this season, but second in the conference in interceptions thrown with 11, many of which have come in crucial moments as they did against Eastern Carolina and against Georgia Tech. It is essential that Duke capitalizes on Brewer’s many chances downfield and safeties Deondre Singleton and Jeremy Cash are aggressive in trying to come up with interceptions.

Limit tackles for loss

Thanks to the stellar play of Duke’s offensive line, led by seniors Laken Tomlinson and Takoby Cofield, the Blue Devils lead the nation with just 23 tackles for lost yardage this season, averaging just 2.56 yards lost per game. Duke must continue their success in limiting tackles for loss, however, as Virginia Tech boasts one of the most aggressive defensive fronts in the nation. Even though Maddy, a first team Preseason All-ACC defensive tackle, injured his right knee in late September and has missed a majority of the season, the Hokies rank eighth nationally with 69 tackles for loss.

Win the special teams battle

Historically, Virginia Tech has been known for its execution of “Beamer Ball,” blocking kicks and making plays in the return game. This season, however, special teams have become a liability, largely due to the team’s youth. No player has returned a punt or kickoff for a touchdown and only one blocked field goal and one blocked extra point have been recorded.

In order for Duke to improve to 9-1, it must have the upper hand on the special teams battle, something it has been able to do a number of times this season. Last week, the play of the special teams units helped secure a Blue Devil victory on the road in the Carrier Dome. Punter Will Monday kept the Orange pinned inside their own territory for most of the second half, Jamison Crowder broke a 52-yard punt return for a touchdown in the fourth quarter and kicker Ross Martin remained one of two kickers perfect on field goals on the year in the country and made both of his attempts.

Share and discuss “Third and goal: Duke football vs. Virginia Tech” on social media.