Student Organizations try to maximize voter turnout

Initiatives to promote student voter turnout in the recent NC midterm senate elections have been widespread.

Flyers and tables across campus, social media advertisement, and more have made its profound impact on encouraging students to sign up and go to the polls to vote.

The election, set to take place on November 4, 2014 will be a close race between Democrat Senator Kay Hagen, Republican Thom Tills, and Libertarian Sean Haugh.It’s an extremely important election to decide the composition of the Senate.

Student voter turnout from Duke has always been high, and this year is shaping up to be no different. With widespread and extensive initiatives from DSG and other groups on campus, registering for the polls and going to the polls has never been more accessible. DSG is funding transportation to the polls for early voting as well as on election day.

“About 400 students have registered to vote. DSG continues to try to make it as accessible as possible to vote as Duke students have historically been very engaged” said sophomore Tanner Lockhead, Senator for Durham and Regional Affairs.

There are a host of issues at play in this election ranging from economic to social policy, many of which can have a direct impact on students at Duke.

“Student votes are very important no matter what we vote because it pressures politicians to listen to us and protect our interests” said senior Jordan Deloatch, President of Duke Democrats.

“Duke will vote Democrat as a whole, which may give Hagen the slight edge she needs in this close race” speculates Adam Lemon, President of Duke Republicans. “it is also important to note the prevalence of the libertarian vote in this election as Haugh is polling at 5-8%.”

Although the different organizations differ in who they are backing this election they can all agree on one thing—The significance of student voting is paramount both in the actual results of the election and in protecting our interests.

Generic Script

Share and discuss “Student Organizations try to maximize voter turnout” on social media.