St. John's basketball 2014-15 season preview

St. John's Red Storm

2013-14 Record: 20-13, 10-8 in the Big East

Head coach: Steve Lavin

Tenure at St. Johns: 5th season

Career coaching record: 216-138

Home courts: Madison Square Garden, Carnesecca Arena

Starters: G Rysheed Jordan, G D'Angelo Harrison, G Phil Greene IV, F Sir'Dominic Pointer, C Chris Obekpa

Bench: G Christian Jones, F/C Khadim Ndiaye

Overview: After last season's underwhelming 20-13 performance, which led to an NIT appearance, the Red Storm hope a number of returning players can lead St. John's back to the Big Dance this season. Although starters JaKarr Samson, God'sgift Achiuwa and Orlando Sanchez are gone after graduating, guards Rysheed Jordan, De'Angelo Harrison and lock-down defender Sir'Dominic Pointer all saw considerable minutes last season and should provide the Red Storm with a foundation for success. Jordan and Harrison combined for 27.2 points per game last season and are combo guards who can shoot from the outside or get to the rim.

Despite the team's strength on the perimeter, head coach Steve Lavin has to be worried about production inside the paint. The team took a blow this month after the school ruled that Keith Thomas, who was the top rebounder amongst all junior college players last year, was ruled ineligible this season due to questions surrounding a possible fake transcript from Westchester (N.Y.) Community College. This will force Obekpa, who impressed coaches in practice this fall, into a starting role in 2014-15.

One thing that needs to go right: Jordan and Harrison need to continue to anchor the team at the guard position, knocking down shots to keep the Red Storm in games.

One thing that could go wrong: Opposing teams find a soft spot inside the paint against an undersized Red Storm frontcourt that will sorely miss Thomas's presence.

Share and discuss “St. John's basketball 2014-15 season preview” on social media.