Preliminary tests for potential Ebola patient negative

A patient who arrived from Liberia and developed symptoms of Ebola is being monitored for the virus at Duke University Hospital.

Preliminary blood tests are negative for a patient being monitored for Ebola at Duke University Hospital, according to an email sent to the Duke community Monday morning.

The patient, who has only been identified as a male, was admitted to Duke Hospital Sunday, after arriving in the United States from Liberia Friday. The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services performed the blood test and notified Duke of the results this morning, the email said. A follow-up test will be run on the patient to confirm the absence of the disease in 72 hours.

"The patient's care team at DUH has undergone extensive training over the past several weeks in caring for such a patient," the email reads. "This patient is being cared for in a separate unit with no other patients, and staff caring for these patients will have no other patient contact during this time. The team has received hours of training in the proper use of personal protective equipment to prevent their exposure to the virus."

DUHS Media Relations Specialist Sarah Avery deferred comment to the N.C. DHHS, who referred to a press release issued Monday.

The patient arrived from Liberia at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey Friday, and then took a bus to Durham. The individual did not display any symptoms of the disease at the time, but developed a fever Sunday morning after traveling to nearby Person County.

A special EMS unit transferred the patient to Duke, and the University committee was notified of the situation by an email Sunday night.

"State and county officials have been working closely with health care providers since July to prepare for the possibility that a patient in North Carolina might be diagnosed with Ebola," Governor Pat McCrory said in a statement. "I want to thank Person County Health Director Janet Clayton, Durham County Health Director Gayle Harris, county officials and Duke University Hospital staff to ensure that the patient was transported and admitted using the appropriate health and safety protocols.

Until the results of the additional testing are clear, the patient will remain in the secure unit. He continues to be treated and evaluated for other possible diseases.

Gautam Hathi contributed reporting.

Share and discuss “Preliminary tests for potential Ebola patient negative” on social media.