New life as a Blue Devil, Part II

Although Duke is a big campus, students here are extraordinarily familiar with the culture, look and feel of their university. Even freshmen learn the layout quite quickly, picking up on the school’s traditions, rivalries and lingo within the first month of school—they learn the physical layout shortly thereafter. Whether portraying the walk to Marketplace, a care-package or the Chapel, these images show moments and places particularly pertinent to freshmen, but no doubt experienced by all students at one point or another during their Duke careers.

This photo series is one of three projects showing what a new Blue Devil might experience in his or her first semester on campus, through the eyes of one new freshman photographer each day. See Part I and Part II as well for different perspectives.

1. Freshmen walk through Blackwell arch on their way to breakfast.

2. Scooters sit waiting outside Gilbert-Addoms dorm.

3. A freshmen hall takes a study break to tackle the Vermonster (20 scoops of ice cream and 5 toppings) one Thursday evening.

4. Students scattered among the tables in Lilly Library, studying.

5. Freshmen line up to try Miracle Berry Fruit Tablets at an event hosted by Devils After Dark in GADU.

6. A carved pumpkin outside Blackwell dorm touts Duke pride. GTHC.

7. Students walk through the lobby of French Family Science Center.

8. A freshman unwraps a care package.

9. The Chapel on the morning walk to class.

10. Freshmen pack Blackwell arch to hear Speak of the Devil perform.

Emily Waples is a freshman from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Although she loves the south, she has yet to add “y’all” to her vocabulary or stop marveling at the above-freezing temperatures.

Share and discuss “New life as a Blue Devil, Part II” on social media.