Georgia Tech basketball 2014-15 season preview

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

2013-14 Record: 16-17, 6-12 in the ACC

Head coach: Brian Gregory

Tenure at Georgia Tech: 4th season

Career coaching record: 215-146

Home court: McCamish Pavilion

Starters: F Charles Mitchell, C DeMarco Cox, F Marcus Georges-Hunt, G Tadric Jackson, G Corey Heyward

Bench: G Chris Bolden, F Quinton Stephens

Overview: Wrapping up last season with a 69-65 overtime loss to Clemson in the second round of ACC tournament, Georgia Tech will look to produce a winning season after several rebuilding years, despite tougher conference play. Transfers Charles Mitchell from Maryland and DeMarco Cox from Ole Miss were recently ruled eligible by the NCAA to compete this season and could establish themselves as aggressive scorers for the squad. Mitchell averaged 6.5 points and 6.3 rebounds per game for the Terrapins, and Cox averaged 4.2 points and 4.9 rebounds per contest with the Rebels. The center scored a career-high 15 points and 13 rebounds last season against the Yellow Jackets.

With forward Robert Carter Jr. transferring to Maryland for his junior season, Georgia Tech returns only one of its top five scorers from last season in forward Marcus Georges-Hunt. The junior has led the Yellow Jackets in scoring since his freshman campaign and will be expected to anchor a Georgia Tech team comprised of many new faces on and off the court. Last season, Georges-Hunt averaged 11.7 points and 4.3 rebounds per game.

One thing that needs to go right: Mitchell and Cox mesh well with their new team, and Georges-Hunt steps up to be Georgia Tech’s flag-bearer.

One thing that could go wrong: Without star players, a Yellow Jacket squad lacking offensive firepower is unable to keep up with ACC powerhouses.

Share and discuss “Georgia Tech basketball 2014-15 season preview” on social media.