Duke in the NBA: Irving, Cavaliers bounce back from recent struggles in time for Thanksgiving weekend.

With the NBA season going strong, former Duke stars have adjusted to their new roles, new offenses and new teams with varying levels of success. We take a look at how some of the former Blue Devils have performed so far:

Jabari Parker, Milwaukee Bucks

This summer’s top two overall NBA draft picks clashed this week when Parker’s Bucks faced off against No. 1 pick Andrew Wiggins and his Minnesota Timberwolves. The heralded rookies did not produce a game for the ages, with the Bucks’ grinding defense ultimately being the key to their 103-86 victory. Neither rookie had a stellar performance, though Wiggins did emphatically block a layup from Parker late in the third quarter.

Parker’s 11 points and seven rebounds can’t be said to be anything more than average for the Bucks, who had seven players score in double figures. However, Parker’s 14 points and 9 rebounds on 7-of-10 shooting was much more efficient in a win against Detroit earlier in the week. The 6-foot-8 forward is averaging 11.7 points per game on 45.7 percent shooting and 5.9 rebounds per contest for the 10-7 Bucks.

Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers

The slow-starting Cavs are back to a .500 winning percentage after two wins this week, with their only loss coming to the surprising Eastern-Conference-leading Toronto Raptors. Irving’s 21 points, six assists, two blocks and a steal comprised a valiant effort against the Raptors, but was not enough to overcome three Toronto players surpassing the 20-point mark, including a 36-point performance from guard Lou Williams.

Still, Irving was impressive in Cleveland’s back-to-back wins, averaging 15.0 points and 4.5 assists per contest in a sharpshooting fashion as he drained 57 percent of his attempts from downtown. Neither of the games were remotely close, so finally Irving and Cavaliers had something to be thankful for this Thanksgiving weekend. Cleveland will look to continue its momentum and keep making a move next week.

Mason Plumlee, Brooklyn Nets

It would appear as though the middle Plumlee brother’s stint with Team USA this summer has not yet catapulted him to an elite level. His averages of 4.7 points and 4.6 rebounds on just 40.7 percent shooting per contest are too mediocre for a 6-foot-11 forward elected to play on the world’s biggest stage. Plumlee only played two games for the Nets this week, who amassed both a win and a loss, and needs to improve his play to see the court more and surpass Mirza Teletovic as Brooklyn's first big off the bench.

Luol Deng, Miami Heat

The unofficial replacement for Lebron James had an excellent performance this week in a nail-biting one-point win against the Charlotte Bobcats this week. His 26 points on 10-of-14 shooting, eight rebounds and three assists were just enough to get the Heat over the hump. He also drained six field goals in a loss against the lethal Golden State Warriors and contributed nine points in a win at Orlando.

The former Duke standout has done a respectable job keeping Miami competitive, as they currently have one more win than the favored championship-contending Cavaliers. Deng is averaging 14.8 points per game on 50.6 percent shooting.

Miles Plumlee, Phoenix Suns

Although current Blue Devil Marshall Plumlee’s eldest brother entered this season after a breakout year, his performance with the 10-6 Suns this year can only be described as lackluster. He averaged three points and 4.5 rebounds per contest in four games this week and is seeing his role diminish for a potential playoff team..

J.J. Redick, Los Angeles Clippers

Despite having to play a grueling three games in four days on the road this week, Redick still put forth a solid performance for Los Angeles’ second-most famous professional basketball team, averaging 14.3 points per game on a respectable 40.7 percent clip from beyond the arc.

The former Blue Devil superstar helped guide the Clippers to three victories in four opportunities in a tough Western Conference. The only thing overshadowing the road wins against Charlotte and Detroit is the crushing defeat at the hands of the 13-2 league best Memphis Grizzlies, who have beaten the Clippers in the playoffs seven times in the past three seasons. Redick is having another solid season, averaging 12.3 points per game for a serious contender.

Lance Thomas, Oklahoma City Thunder

Riddled with injuries, the Thunder really need undrafted gems like Thomas to rise to the challenge, but unfortunately the former Duke standout was unable to produce this week, only scoring two points in two games. The forward didn’t even play in the win against the Utah Jazz, and as his stat sheet would suggest, was ineffective in the loss to the Warriors of Golden State.

Friday against the Knicks, Thomas scored six points and should benefit with point guard Russell Westbrook back on the court. But star Kevin Durant should be back in the next few weeks, so Thomas should make the most of his minutes for Oklahoma City if he wants to stay in the rotation.

Carlos Boozer, Los Angeles Lakers

The 6-foot-9 forward returned after a slight shoulder injury on Wednesday in a loss against the Grizzlies, and the signs of his injury were all too evident. The Blue Devil only managed to score four points, despite attempting six field goals. Boozer’s 12.6 points and 6.4 rebounds per game performance overall this season is below his career averages of 16.6 points and 9.7 boards per contest. The veteran will have to step it up if the Lakers want to be anything less than an embarrassment this season.

Boozer did have 15 points and five rebounds in a Friday night contest against the Timberwolves, but also needs to find a way to be less of a defensive liability for the Lakers to escape the cellar of the standings.

Rodney Hood, Utah Jazz

Out with a foot injury since Nov.7th, the small forward was able to take some shots at practice Wednesday, which is a good sign for the struggling Jazz. The rookie forward was averaging 4.0 points and 3.3 rebounds per game off the bench before the injury.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Irving, Cavaliers bounce back from recent struggles in time for Thanksgiving weekend.” on social media.