Duke basketball 2014-15 player preview: Tyus Jones

Leading up to Duke basketball’s first game of the season Nov. 14 against Presbyterian, The Blue Zone will preview an expected contributor on this 2014-2015 squad each day, continuing today with point guard Tyus Jones.

Tyus Jones

• Year: Freshman
  • Height: 6-foot-1
  • Position: Point guard

Game Breakdown: From day one, Jones should be regarded as one of the best pure passers in the country. He lacks the prototypical size and speed of the most dominant guards in the college game, but makes up for every bit of that with his superior court vision and patience. Jones has a way of thinking about every play three steps ahead of his defender. The Apple Valley, Minn., native won't make it rain from deep but has the ability to step out and knock down jumpers from beyond the arc. Jones is also a solid on-ball defender and will make opposing guards work for buckets.

Transitioning to the college game, Jones will benefit from a pre-existing rapport with his teammates Jahlil Okafor and Justise Winslow, who have played with Jones throughout the USA Basketball youth system and should have major roles on this year's Duke squad. But Jones' greatest strength might be his adaptability to those around him. In watching him during multiple inter-squad scrimmages, Jones has shown the ability to transition into different lineups and tempos almost seamlessly.

Role on the team: Head coach Mike Krzyzewski hates to define a player's role because he believes it puts them in a box, but Jones is Duke's starting point guard, plain and simple. The freshman will be thrust into the spotlight from day one and expected to facilitate the Blue Devil offense to perfection.

Okafor may be Duke's best player, but Jones may be this team's most valuable piece. The Blue Devils have lacked a true, comfortable point guard for a few years now, and Jones may have the skills to rewind the clock back to the days of Chris Duhon. Jones' job will be primarily as a facilitator, but this year's team could live and die with the play of its freshman floor general.

Although Jones has a capable backup in senior Quinn Cook—who could be featured alongside Jones in certain lineups—there is no shortage of pressure that comes along with playing point guard at Duke. But after a stellar summer of workouts and solid performances in scrimmages and exhibition play, it appears Jones is up to the challenge.

Player comparison: Jones' court vision is reminiscent of one of the NBA's top young point guards, Minnesota Timberwolves floor general Ricky Rubio. The Spaniard is one of the game's best passers, but is limited offensively. In a similar vein, Jones will rarely look for his own shot because his ability as a distributor far exceeds his scoring prowess. Rubio was at his best in Minnesota when paired with dominant forward Kevin Love. We'll see whether Okafor—who is considered the top big man in all of college basketball—can bring out the best in Jones.

Projected stats: 7.0 PPG, 8.5 APG, 1.0 SPG

Players we've already previewed: Grayson Allen, Justise Winslow

Share and discuss “Duke basketball 2014-15 player preview: Tyus Jones” on social media.