X factor: Duke football vs. Virginia

After stunning then-No. 22 Georgia Tech last weekend in Atlanta, the Blue Devils are looking to leapfrog Virginia and take control in the ACC's Coastal Division. Duke will look to make a statement in its homecoming game Saturday at 12:30 p.m. at Wallace Wade Stadium. Every week throughout the football season, we’ll break down a player on each team who could be the difference-maker in the upcoming contest.

Duke: wide receiver Max McCaffrey

The 6-foot-2, 195 pound wideout will have to find a way to record catches against a stout, attacking Virginia defense that only allows 91.5 yards per game on the ground and already has 19 takeaways on the season. The junior Castle Rock, Colo., native lines up in the slot and has emerged as a reliable target for quarterback Anthony Boone with outside receivers Jamison Crowder and Issac Blakeney in slumps and battling injuries.

McCaffrey caught a four-yard touchdown last week and had a crucial 30-yard reception on a third-and-26 to set up another score. Similar big plays could be needed if the Blue Devils are unable to establish their vaunted rushing attack that enters the contest averaging 5.8 yards per carry. With Cavalier safeties Quin Blanding and Anthony Harris establishing themselves as one of the best tandems in the ACC, a reliable possession receiver like McCaffrey could have a huge impact with explosive plays at a premium and blocking on the outside necessary to spring Duke's quartet of running backs.

Virginia: running back Kevin Parks

The 5-foot-8, 200-pound preseason Doak Walker Award watch list ball carrier has been the Cavaliers' most dominant offensive threat this season, just as he was last year. Coming off a 169-yard performance against Pittsburgh in which he ran for a 48-yard touchdown, the Salisbury, N.C., native will look to make Duke pay when he returns to his home state. Parks will try to use his blistering speed to break off long gains, as he did against Pittsburgh when he became the first Virginia running back since 2008 to rush for more than 150 yards.

The Cavaliers will stick with what has worked for them and try to control the clock against a veteran Duke secondary which forced three turnovers against Georgia Tech just a week ago. Virginia will also look to help reintegrate quarterback Greyson Lambert into the offense, as the sophomore play-caller missed the past three weeks with an ankle injury. Depending on how Lambert performs, sophomore quarterback Matt Johns could also see time under center.

Regardless of who is playing quarterback, the Blue Devil defense will need to be more aware of Parks than it was last year when he racked up 50 yards and two touchdowns on 15 carries and added six receptions for 88 yards and a third score.

Jacob Weiss

Jacob Weiss is a Trinity senior. His column, "not jumping to any conclusions," runs on alternate Fridays.

Share and discuss “X factor: Duke football vs. Virginia” on social media.