Exhibit gives voice to survivors of sexual violence

Special to The Chronicle
Special to The Chronicle

“The hardest words I ever said were, I need to talk to someone about an assault.” One survivor holds up these words, her testimony to the reality of experiencing sexual violence. This survivor’s photograph is one of 32 volunteers’ stories, shared in an effort to end the silence that revolves sexual violence and to inspire healing through art.

The “Breaking Out Exhibit”, sponsored by the Duke Women’s Center, directed by Hanna Metaferia, Trinity ‘14, and photographed by Antoinette Hayford, Julia Dunn and Naa Adoley, will be revived in the Duke University Chapel this Friday, Oct. 17.

Previously held in the Bryan Center, this exhibit is the third “Breaking Out” since the first launched in 2012 by Develle Dish writer Neha Sharma, Trinity '12. Develle Dish, an online blog, is a space where Duke women can openly express their stories without feeling inadmissible. The blog, along with Duke’s reduced statute of limitations in 2012, compelled Sharma to begin this photo documentary project which was inspired by Grace Brown’s Project Unbreakable. The first iteration of "Breaking Out" aimed to counter the campus and national attitudes and events undermining victims of sexual violence through an unshakeable message and solidarity.

That vision has not swayed: it has only grown stronger with this year’s exhibit featuring 32 participants, an increase from the typical 10 to 12 participants of the previous two projects.

“I think this is the kind of project that grows by word-of-mouth on campus…I feel so indebted to the people who spoke out first, who proved that you can speak out and that it will be positive for the campus and that there will be people who listen," Annie Piotrowski, coordinator of this year’s exhibit and Recess staff writer, said. "I really credit Hanna for helping to make more people feel comfortable in bringing their stories forward."

Hanna Metaferia, previous editor of Develle Dish, was key in displaying the project at the Duke Chapel. As one of the Chapel scholars, she invited both the Duke Chapel and the Presbyterian Campus Ministry to become co-sponsors of the exhibit.

“The exhibit in the Chapel will demonstrate that the Chapel is a sanctuary for all victims, and is another channel that plays a role in promoting social justice,” Metaferia said.

The Chapel has had a history of hanging art on its walls with collections that connect with community partners and issues of social justice, with and without theological undertones. Christy Lohr Sapp, Associate Dean for Religious Life, underlined the Chapel’s commitment to healing through spirituality and creative arts in efforts to support those who feel alienated for any number of reasons.

“My colleagues and I felt like the exhibit didn’t get enough time in the BC and we wanted to send the message more broadly, because it was such an important topic," Sapp said. "We wanted to communicate that we’re this place of support, reconciliation, and wholeness…we’re this big building, but we’re also here for you."

For those who missed the exhibit last year, the placement in the Chapel offers another opportunity to honor the survivors who have broken the silence and to acknowledge the problems surrounding sexual violence that still persist.

In Metaferia's own words, “These stories are not forgotten.”

Sheila Janardhan, director of Breaking Out 2015, wants viewers to be “both empowered and inspired by the survivors and to see that though Duke has a long way to go. In creating an avenue for students to speak out, students can break out of the culture of silence and there will be a community that can offer support.”

Although the partnership with the Chapel may seem unprecedented, the exhibit is a strong testament to the sanctuaries that can exist for anyone who has ever felt victimized, whether or not that person has faith traditions.

“It’s a place that anyone can come to…at Duke, it’s hard to be vulnerable, and one of the things the Chapel communicates is that it’s okay to be vulnerable," Sapp said. "We want to be a resource that’s empowering, not disempowering."

One of the exhibit’s participants, Anastasia K?rkli?a, Trinity '14, specifically chose to have her photograph taken in the prayer room of Duke’s Center for Muslim Life.

“For me, the photograph complicated the relationship between my faith, as my source of healing from many forms of violence I experienced, and the silence that plagues religious communities that are yet to openly affirm survivors of sexual violence without shame or judgment," K?rkli?a said. "It was a powerful way of beginning to live my truth unapologetically.”

“The location of the exhibit is especially meaningful because the Chapel is not only a religious site but also both the geographic and symbolic 'heart' of our campus," K?rkli?a said. "In some way, the issue of sexual violence is quite literally being placed at the center of our university.”

The “Breaking Out” Exhibit will open Friday, Oct. 17, and will be on display until Oct. 30. There will be an opening reception from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., featuring a talk from Hanna Metaferia as well as Chapel staff.

Share and discuss “Exhibit gives voice to survivors of sexual violence” on social media.