SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke men’s soccer looks to extend winning streak, capture elusive first road victory against Wake Forest

Freshman goalkeeper Joe Ohaus has led the Blue Devils in their past two contests, posting shutouts in both victories.

At a time when they are playing arguably their best soccer, the Blue Devils will be tested on Friday night by the best offense in the ACC.

Coming off of the team’s first consecutive victories of the season, the Blue Devils will travel to Spry Stadium Friday for a 7 p.m. kickoff against Wake Forest in Winston-Salem, N.C. This game will provide another opportunity for Duke to translate consistent success at home into a victory on the road.

The Blue Devils have played their best soccer late in games this season—15 of the team’s 19 goals have been scored in the second half. This trend holds true on the defensive end as well, where they have allowed opponents to score only four goals in the second half so far this season, compared to 11 in the first half. Head coach John Kerr believes the key to victory is matching this strong second-half performance earlier in the game.

“I think a good plus for us tonight was that we had a good start to the game and our movement was good. I think we’ll have to do the same thing going forward against Wake,” Kerr said after the Blue Devils’ 2-0 victory against Appalachian State Tuesday. “We can’t go in being wishy-washy or not concentrating, we have to make sure that we’re ready for that game from the get-go.”

For Duke (5-3-1, 2-1 in the ACC), the story recently has been all about defense. Seniors Zach Mathers and Jack Coleman anchor an otherwise young back line, as the veteran duo is typically joined by freshmen Markus Fjortoft and Kevon Black. Another freshman, Joe Ohaus, has been solid in goal as of late. This Blue Devil defensive unit has been responsible for two consecutive shutouts leading up to Friday night’s game.

Kerr attributes this recent success to greater unity and harmony that comes naturally with more game experience.

“They’re executing and they’re getting more used to each other and communicating,” Kerr said. “It’s a young back line with a freshman goalie and two backs that are freshmen so it takes a little bit of coordination and organizing and talking more.”

One big question mark for the Blue Devils is the participation of senior captain Sean Davis, who was absent from the team’s 2-0 victory against the Mountaineers with a hamstring injury. Not only does he lead the team with five assists, but he also provides visible leadership on the field. As for the status of the Holmdel, N.J., native for Friday’s game against Wake Forest (5-4-0, 1-2), it is still uncertain.

“It’s a day-by-day thing right now,” Kerr said Tuesday. “I hope he [can play], because he’s a big player for us. Fingers are crossed.”

The Blue Devils will face a Wake Forest squad that has struggled with its own inconsistencies recently. After blowing out Virginia Military Institute 7-0 at home, the Demon Deacons dropped their next game at Clemson 3-1. They then proceeded to bounce back with a 2-1 victory at home against Akron Tuesday night.

Despite a bit of shakiness, however, Wake Forest boasts the best offense in the ACC by almost every standard. Entering the Akron game, the Demon Deacons led the league in a six offensive categories, as they average 6.88 points per game, 2.25 goals per game, 2.38 assists per game and have notched 18 goals, 19 assists and 152 shots on the season.

The leader of this offense is junior forward Michael Gamble, who on Tuesday was named the NSCAA player of the week for his four goals and two assists in the team’s two games against Virginia Military Institute and Clemson. The Columbia, Md., native has contributed just less than one-third of the Demon Deacons’ goals and assists this season, and currently leads the ACC in points, shots, goals, assists, shots per game, points per game, goals per game and assists per game.

“He’s the danger guy. If we can shut him down by preventing him from getting the ball, number one, and then have cover and balance behind him when he does get it, that’s the key,” Kerr said. “[Gamble] wants to go to goal quickly so we have to get numbers around him and make sure that he’s watched at all times.”

Kerr believes that his team has an excellent chance to capture a third consecutive victory if they continue to play smart possession soccer.

“They’re very dangerous on possession. We have to make sure we’re ready for their counterattacks because they get the ball and they go quickly,” Kerr said. “It’s going to be a good battle.”

Friday’s game is the seventh annual Genna Wiley Memorial Match to raise money for breast cancer research. Pink towels will be handed out to the first 500 fans in attendance and fans who wear pink will receive free admission.

Share and discuss “Duke men’s soccer looks to extend winning streak, capture elusive first road victory against Wake Forest” on social media.