Duke football standout Tomlinson continues reeling in national accolades, quartet of Blue Devils earn conference honors

After a 6-1 start that has showcased the Blue Devils' talent in all three phases of the , a handful of Duke players are reeling in midseason awards.

A week after guard Laken Tomlinson was named to the CBSSports midseason All-America second team, he is making headlines again after being named to the Phil Steele All-America second team. He was also named an All-ACC performer by Steele in addition to the national honors.

The redshirt senior has anchored an offensive line that is tied for first in the FBS with only 0.57 sacks allowed per game and 2.86 tackles for loss allowed per game. The line has also paved the way for a Blue Devil four-headed rushing attack that is averaging 218 yards per game.

Tomlinson is the only Duke player that appears on Steele's All-America team, but a number of Blue Devils appeared in Steele's All-ACC midseason selections.

On the defensive side, safety Jeremy Cash, who was named a second team All-American by USA Today last season, garnered first-team accolades. The Miami native is fifth in the ACC with 63 tackles and leads the conference with three forced fumbles, which is also good for fifth in the FBS. He has registered two interceptions and four pass breakups in addition to 1.5 sacks thus far.

Cash is joined on the first team by wide receiver Jamison Crowder, who was an All-ACC performer a year ago. The Monroe, N.C. native is fifth in the ACC with 471 receiving yards on 40 receptions and has scored two touchdowns. Crowder has been rather quiet during the first half of the season compared to his breakout year in 2013, so his selection may come as a surprise to some.

Linebacker David Helton and defensive back DeVon Edwards were selected to the All-ACC midseason second team. Helton, who made the move to mike linebacker after Kelby Brown tore his ACL, is the ACC's second leading tackler with 69 stops in 2014. He trails only Virginia freshman Quin Blanding.

Edwards, an All-American last season as a kick returner, has played a key role in a young Blue Devil secondary. He is fifth in the conference with seven pass breakups in seven games and also has an interception this season. The Covington, Ga., native also is second in the conference behind Cash with two forced fumbles.

All five midseason honorees will have a week to rest before traveling to Pittsburgh the weekend of Nov. 1 for a Coastal Division showdown with the Panthers.

Share and discuss “Duke football standout Tomlinson continues reeling in national accolades, quartet of Blue Devils earn conference honors” on social media.