Duke football to face Notre Dame 4 times between 2016 and 2023

A handful meetings with one of the nation's most storied football programs are on the horizon.

Duke will face independent Notre Dame three more times between 2019 and 2023, in addition to game on September 24, 2016 that is already scheduled to be played in South Bend, Ind., the Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday. The Blue Devils will host the Fighting Irish in 2019 and 2023 and will travel to South Bend in 2020 in addition to the already scheduled matchup in 2016.

The two opponents aren't exactly strangers on the gridiron. They have faced off four times since 1958, with Notre Dame owning a 3-1 record between the two teams. Duke lost their last matchup with the Fighting Irish 28-7 in 2007.

In that game, current Chicago Bears quarterback Jimmy Clausen threw for 194 yards and three touchdowns as Notre Dame built a 28-0 lead in the fourth quarter, one that it would not relinquish. A six-yard rushing touchdown by reserve quarterback Zach Asack was Duke's only score of the game.

The Blue Devils will be looking to seek revenge in the 2016 matchup, which will be nationally televised on NBC due to the school's contract with the network which lasts through 2025. Dates have not been set for the other three contests.

Notre Dame joined the ACC in all sports except football, but it does have a special agreement with the conference in which it will play five rotating ACC opponents each year beginning in 2015. So far this season, the Fighting Irish are 2-1 against the ACC with wins against Syracuse and North Carolina, and a 31-27 loss to Florida State in Tallahassee, Fla. Saturday night. They have one more game with ACC opponent remaining against Louisville on Nov 22.

Share and discuss “Duke football to face Notre Dame 4 times between 2016 and 2023” on social media.