Duke football boasts three-headed monster in talented safeties

Safeties DeVon Edwards (left), Deondre Singleton (center) and Jeremy Cash (right) have emerged as leaders on the Blue Devil defense.

Some might say three’s company, but when it comes to Duke’s safeties, a trio is perfect.

Although there are normally three safeties on the field, one more than conventional defensive formations allot, much is asked of starters Jeremy Cash, Deondre Singleton and DeVon Edwards.

Under defensive coordinator Jim Knowles, the Blue Devils have played a 4-2-5 defense since 2009, with the biggest difference being that instead of a third linebacker, the team plays with a third safety. The formation has taken a while to sink in, as Duke was one of the worst defensive teams in the ACC from 2009-2012. But this season, it is ranked fifth in the FBS in scoring defense and has forced 13 turnovers.

A big part of the defense’s resurgence has been the play of the three starting safeties, which was the only position to return all of its starters coming into the season. Cash, Edwards and Singleton have had a hand in forcing eight of the team’s 13 takeaways.

Still, their expectations have risen as fast as Duke’s relevance in the college football world.

“We knew that we needed to step up because we have experience in the back end,” Edwards said. “I wouldn’t say it has gotten easier because the expectations are higher. When we mess up the coaches make it a big deal. Playing and trusting where everyone is going to be is easier, but coaches have become stricter.”

Falling into Place

A major reason why the safeties have had a breakout season is because they have different skill sets, which allows them to easily identify and exploit matchups against opposing offenses. Their differing personality types have also blended together to create a tight knight group on and off the field.

Cash, a redshirt junior who played his freshman season at Ohio State, has a larger frame which allows him to play a linebacker-safety hybird position, known as the strike safety. As the oldest and most vocal of the three, he is the undisputed leader of the young unit. His role can change from game to game because of his flexibility—against Georgia Tech he played more as linebacker, but against Virginia’s spread offense he found himself mostly in the secondary.

Cash is the most active at the line of scrimmage and is known to dole out jarring hits, which have forced three fumbles this season. But he has proven to be a trusty player in the secondary, boasting four pass breakups and two interceptions.

Edwards and Singleton are experts in the secondary and are always looking for the interception to get off the field. As the bandit, Singleton’s role is focused on playing deep in the formation and looking to prevent the big play. Edwards plays a similar role as the rover safety, but since he began his career as a cornerback, he is often matched up against a receiver as a nickel corner on passing downs.

However, the duo has been challenged to become more active toward the line of scrimmage and stop the run. This has been evident this season, with both players finding their way into opponents’ backfields for a combined 3.0 tackles for loss. Although Cash is described as the best hitter in the group, Singleton has provided a few big hits of his own, including one on Florida State wide receiver Rashad Greene in last year’s ACC Championship game.

Growing up together

Last season was the first season Cash, Edwards and Singleton played a regular season snap in Duke uniforms. Although Cash and Edwards became acclimated with Knowles’ defense during their redshirt seasons in 2012, Singleton was a true freshman who was dropped into meaningful ACC action. All three made big plays last season during the Blue Devils’ historic 10-win season, but it is evident that they are more prepared in 2014, creating a nightmare for offenses. Teams threw for 243.9 yards per game against Duke in 2013, but this season are only averaging 204.6 yards.

“We have a year under our belt playing together,” Cash said. “So just being acclimated to everything as one unit, we have been able to build that trust factor. Just being able to trust one another when times get tough.”

The trio’s individual play has changed as well. They have found their niches in the 4-2-5 defense, which has helped the Blue Devils win 14 of the last 15 regular season games.

“This time last year, I would get nervous playing in a lot of the ACC games,” Singleton said. “Now, I just go out there and have fun. I was worried about messing up, but now I know my stuff, I know I can do it.”

Sour taste from South Beach

Duke was riding high after a 4-0 start to the season in September, but was gashed by the Miami offense in a Sept. 27 matchup that the Hurricanes won 22-10.

The defense gave up three touchdowns, including two scoring tosses from true freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya. On one of those passes, Miami was facing a 4th and 19 at the Duke 28 yard line when receiver Herb Waters beat Cash down the sideline for a touchdown pass that gave the Hurricanes a 16-7 lead. When all was said and done, Kaaya had thrown for 223 yards and two touchdowns.

“We made mistakes that were not very common of us,” Cash said. “Even though our offense wasn’t hitting on all cylinders, we still could have theoretically won that game 10-9. It stays in our mind because that could have been a game that the defense could have won.”

On Oct. 11 the safeties got back on the field and showed why they are the anchors of the defense.

They combined for 21 total tackles and Cash recovered a fumble and had an interception during a solid performance that limited Georgia Tech to 12 points through three quarters. The Blue Devils went on to win the game 31-25—their first victory in Atlanta since 1994.

One week later, more of the same. Cash forced another fumble and joined with Edwards and Singleton to break up six passes in a 20-13 win against Virginia that put Duke in control of its own destiny in the ACC Coastal division.

Going forward, the Blue Devil safeties are confident that they can stop an opponent or force a turnover at any point on the field. Yards have not defined the unit, rather it is the points on the board at the end of the day that satisfy Cash, Edwards and Singleton. If they can keep holding opponents to 15 points per game, they believe they will be back in Charlotte come December.

“We can control our destiny in that situation,” Singleton said. “We are the only people that can say if we want to win, we are going to win and play in the ACC Championship. That’s our motivation.”

Share and discuss “Duke football boasts three-headed monster in talented safeties” on social media.