WellBeing containers transform disposal for first-years

Female freshmen have probably noticed an unusual device in their residence hall bathrooms—an automated sanitary product disposal container attached to the walls inside the stalls.

The touch-free WellBeing containers are designed as a more hygienic substitute to leaving used sanitary products in the trash, said Karema Atkinson, assistant manager of housekeeping operations. They also function as air-fresheners.

“You wave your hand over the top, and [the container] comes up," Atkinson said. "After you deposit the item, it will come right down—you don’t even need to wave your hand again."

The WellBeing containers were implemented to avoid clogged sanitary systems and to reduce the housekeeping staff’s exposure to bloodborne pathogens, Beville said. The project piloted on East campus because the residence halls are older and require more careful maintenance.

First-year students also may benefit more than older students, he added.

“Juniors and seniors are pretty much set in their ways, but many of these 18-year-old freshmen are not used to disposing these items,” Beville said. “We want to provide the amenities and services that can help change their behaviors quickly.”

The containers were implemented during early April, but the planning began a year before that, said Director of Facilities Operations Andy Beville. Housing, Dining and Residence Life decided to work with WellBeing Hygiene‚ which also provides cleaning and maintenance, effectively reducing the workload of housekeeping staff, Atkinson said.

While no timeline has been set, HDRL is planning to install the containers on West and Central campus as well.

“The WellBeing containers have been well-received on East," Beville said. "From students to housekeeping staff, everybody likes them."

Share and discuss “WellBeing containers transform disposal for first-years” on social media.