Miami seeks revenge, inside track to ACC Championship against hot Duke team

Senior linebacker David Helton and the defense will be tasked with stopping a Duke Johnson-led Miami rushing attack Saturday.

On the verge of losing the swagger that had made Miami a football power in the 2000s, the Hurricanes now seek revenge and an inside shot at the ACC Coastal Crown against an opponent it can no longer take lightly.

Although it may seem early to start talking about the division race, when Miami hosts Duke in primetime 7:30 p.m. Saturday night at Sun Life Stadium, an inside path to the ACC Coastal crown may be on the line. The Hurricanes will attempt to avenge a 48-30 loss last year in Durham, which similar to this year's game, had major implications in the Coastal division race.

Even with the game's long-term effects, Miami head coach Al Golden is trying to focus on simply winning the next game on the slate.

"In terms of the conference and moving forward, obviously it's a big game for both programs," Golden said. "I'm sure it does have more significance or equal significance, but for us it's important because it's just the next game for us."

Five years ago, it seemed as if Miami could afford to overlook the Blue Devils (4-0) each year. From the moment the Hurricanes (2-2, 0-1 ACC) entered the ACC in 2005, current NFL wide receiver Devin Hester torched the defense on two punt returns and Miami rolled 52-7.

This trend became a norm: the Hurricanes went on to win eight straight games between 2005 and 2012 with a margin of victory of 19 points.

But last year, a much improved Duke squad finally earned a win against Golden's team, rushing for a season-high 358 yards and four touchdowns to notch its eighth win of the season for the first time since 1994.

Like the rest of the conference, Miami learned the hard way about the budding Blue Devils.

This season, the Hurricanes are much more dangerous than last year thanks to the return of running back Duke Johnson and wide receiver Phillip Dorsett, who both sat out last year's matchup with injuries. Both have made significant impacts thus far in 2014, as Johnson leads the team with 370 yards rushing and three touchdowns, and Dorsett has hauled in 10 passes for a whopping 332 yards and four touchdowns.

"Their speed and skill defensively and offensively is special," Duke head coach David Cutcliffe said. "Of course we all know that Duke Johnson, I think, is as good a back as there is in the country. A very balanced football team and they always pose problems because of their speed and match ups."

Despite the solid individual numbers, as a whole, Miami's total offense is only 69th in the nation, posting 31.5 points per game. The weight to improve these numbers lies heavily on the shoulders of true freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya, who has risen to the occasion this season after coming from behind to win the starting job in fall camp.

Kaaya has exhibited some growing pains—he has already tossed seven interceptions—but showed great promise last week against Nebraska when he threw for 359 yards and three touchdowns. His big numbers will have to continue if the Hurricanes want their way with a Blue Devil defensive squad that is only allowing 11.5 points per game.

"Brad is more comfortable in trusting himself and his line of scrimmage operation," Golden said. "I think Brad got a lot of confidence, as he should have, from the [Nebraska] game the other night."

A young, but athletic line of 300-plus pound linemen stand in the way of the Duke front and Kaaya. The group, led by senior center Shane McDermott, will be tasked with a Blue Devil front six that will be missing defensive end Dezmond Johnson and linebacker Kelby Brown.

Cutcliffe acknowledges that getting pressure on Kaaya and stopping an All-American running back will be tough against Miami's firm offensive front.

"[Kaaya] is surrounded by a heck of a cast of lineman," Cutcliffe said. "They pose a big problem in that regard. We will certainly have to mix things up against Miami’s offense, not only to stop him, but also stop the run as well."

The Hurricanes returned a handful of starters from 2013 on the defensive side , including All-ACC linebacker Denzel Perrymen who leads the team with 31 tackles, including four for a loss. The secondary also returns starters Tracey Howard, Ladarius Gunter and Deion Bush, who all played in last year's game.

A major question will be whether the Miami front seven can stifle a Blue Devil rushing game that has a range of weapons from nifty freshmen Shaun Wilson to wildcat quarterback Thomas Sirk.

"We'd better tackle better than we did last week because between this group of running backs, they can make you pay and they did that to us last year," Golden said. "We are going to have to be better tacklers."

Golden's team is itching to reach the ACC Championship, having never played in the December game since joining the conference. After an NCAA investigation, self-imposed bowl ban and two seven-win seasons and one six-win season during the last three years, it is Miami, not Duke that wants to make a statement.

"We have their attention," he said. "Clearly because we are back in the Coastal Division [race], it adds added meaning. Those are the things that we are thinking about right now."

Share and discuss “Miami seeks revenge, inside track to ACC Championship against hot Duke team” on social media.