History meets urbanization in local Alley 26 development

Alley 26, pictured above, will soon be home to small start-ups and businesses after the conclusion of a major reconstructive project.

A major reconstructive project, aimed at small local businesses, is currently underway in “Alley 26” of downtown Durham.

The alley, which currently houses a warehouse that caught fire several years ago, is being repurposed as office space. Built in 1915 with unique historical architecture, the space will eventually contain a two-story building and courtyard. The project is being planned by Durham real estate developer Eno Ventures, which has plans to modify several aspects of the area.

“[Eno Ventures] proposes modifications to the existing historic shell and construction of a new two?story building within the shell,” Lisa Miller, senior planner and urban designer of the City of Durham Planning Department wrote in an email Friday.

Located between East Chapel Hill and West Parrish Streets, the alley and its warehouses were burned completely in a fire in 2009. The remaining exposed overhangs and unique angles led Gary Kueber, Trinity '92 to describe the space as “the strangest downtown property” on his blog, Open Durham.

"It seemed like an exaggeration, but it felt like a Roman ruin of some kind," Kueber wrote on the blog.

Plans for renovation include returning the windows of the building to their former rhythm, according to the Certificate of Appropriateness Report for the project, which notes that this "restores the engagement of the building with the city."

“Nothing was left but an empty masonry shell and some charred remains of the window frames and sashes,” the report reads. “Aside from the masonry walls topped by a tile coping, there is little left of the original building other than some hints of the window sizes and configurations.”

The building lacks a street front and can only be accessed via Alley 26. As a result, city planners do not expect this building to be used by retail businesses.

“It figures that it was never a viable business location and instead served as warehouse storage for businesses within 118 West Parrish [Street],” reads the report.

A list of specific reconstructing instructions and plans has already been proposed, including new elements that will match the original ones damaged by the fire. According to the report, the new building will have molds, painting and windows that match the original design in order to preserve the historical value of the area in addition to new materials.

No businesses have currently declared interest in renting an office space in the new building at Alley 26, but city planners showed optimism in the project.

“This project…will utilize private funds to place a derelict building back into service [and] thereby contributing to the viability and vitality of downtown," the report reads. "This may once again contribute uniquely to the urban fabric.”

Share and discuss “History meets urbanization in local Alley 26 development” on social media.