Dangerous Tulane squad to square off with unbeaten Blue Devils

Running back Shaun Wilson had a career day against Kansas but will not be the only freshman speedster on the field with a 200-yard game to his name this season come Saturday—Tulane running back Sherman Badie scampered for 215 yards against Tulsa.

For some teams, a record doesn't tell the whole story.

Tulane is one of those teams.

After dropping its first two games this season, the Green Wave heads to Durham this weekend to duel with the Blue Devils at Wallace Wade Stadium coming off its first win of the season against FCS opponent Southeast Louisiana.

But the two losses against Tulsa and Georgia Tech could have easily gone the other way and made head coach Curtis Johnson's squad a confident, undefeated team. In its season opener, Johnson's team lost a 38-31 double-overtime heartbreaker to American Athletic Conference foe Tulsa and then lost a 38-21 matchup with Georgia Tech a week later. In the latter game, Tulane only trailed the Yellow Jackets by three points at halftime.

The potential is there for the Green Wave, which is why Duke head coach David Cutcliffe is impressed with Tulane after watching them on film.

"The more I looked at them, the more I was impressed with the job not only they are doing coaching, but with the job they are doing recruiting there," Cutcliffe said. "This is a team blessed with a lot of athletes. They are playing some seniors, they are playing some true freshmen. But the theme you can tell with Tulane is that they can run."

The excitement in New Orleans has been brewing for a long time.

After only 13 wins from 2008-2012, Tulane has bounced back in the college football world, led by its third-year head coach.

Last season, the Green Wave posted a 7-6 record in its final year in Conference USA and lost a close battle with Louisiana Lafeyette in the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl. The 2014 campaign is Tulane's first playing outside the Mercedes Benz Superdome—home to the NFL's New Orleans Saints—and the Green Wave picked up in its first win in new, on-campus Yulman Stadium last Saturday, knocking off the Lions 35-20.

"[It was a] great win for us, big for our program," Johnson said. "Our first win in our new stadium. Our kids played hard and well. We played so many young kids toward the end that I thought we got a little out of sync. But I thought defensively we got some turnovers. We really played our first good defensive football game."

During the first three games, the offense has been a strong point for the Green Wave, specifically the ground game. A trio of running backs—freshmen Sherman Badie and Dontrell Hilliard and redshirt sophomore Lazedrick Thompson—anchor the three-headed rushing attack that has combined for 463 yards this season.

Badie has been the best rusher of the three so far, running for 310 yards on 33 carries. His speed was showcased in the season opener when he exploded for a 90-yard touchdown against Tulsa and finished with 215 total yards on the ground.

One area of concern for Johnson is under center, where redshirt freshman quarterback Tanner Lee has experienced growing pains in the first few games this season. The Destrehan, La., native has completed only 50 percent of his passes this season and has an 8-6 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Still, Cutcliffe, a quarterback guru himself, recognizes Lee's talent and the weapons around him.

"That big quarterback [Lee] has a big arm that can make plays," Cutcliffe said. "He has people to throw it to. Their backs are really good, they have a couple of freshmen backs [Badie and Hilliard]. They have great speed if you watch the tapes."

Tulane's defense is still attempting to build on a strong 2013 campaign in which it was the nation's 22nd-best defense in terms of yards allowed and ranked second in the nation in forcing turnovers. After losing almost half of its starters, however, the Green Wave has given up 32 points per game in 2014, which has dropped its defense to 94th in the nation in points allowed.

The defense's strength lies near the line of scrimmage. Nose tackles Corey Redwine and Tanzel Smart both weigh in at more than 300 pounds and will try to put a dent in an explosive Blue Devil running game that is posting 262.7 rushing yards per game.

The linebacking corp, led by linebacker Nico Marley—the grandson of reggae legend Bob Marley—will also look to be active near the line of scrimmage. The sophomore has 22 tackles, 0.5 sacks and an interception already this season.

"They are definitely a very active front," Duke center Matt Skura said. "A lot of movement. Their two nose tackles are big, quick guys that are athletic. We have been working on guys working downhill on scout team defense and trying to prepare for a lot of movement."

The Blue Devils may be without guard Lucas Patrick, who was injured in the Kansas game and was called questionable for Saturday's game by Cutcliffe. If Patrick can't suit up this weekend, look for Cody Robinson to take his spot up front and help combat Redwine and Smart.

After having its way with the first three opponents of the season, Duke should face more resistance from a hungry Tulane squad in its final home game until Oct. 18. If the Blue Devils underestimate their opponent, the Green Wave could pull off a major upset that would give it the momentum needed to build on last year's success.

Share and discuss “Dangerous Tulane squad to square off with unbeaten Blue Devils” on social media.