Wake Forest Season Preview

The Demon Deacons will be trying to reach the postseason for the first time since 2011, but first year head coach Dave Clawson will face an uphill battle against a strong ACC Atlantic Division.

After winning four games last season, the offense must replace its three best skill players in quarterback Tanner Price, running back Josh Harris and wide receiver Michael Campanaro. Price was a four-year starter who finished his career with more than 8,000 passing yards, second only in Wake Forest history to Riley Skinner.

Clawson will test the waters under center with true freshman John Wolford, who was a top recruit out of high school, but will lack the experience of the recently-graduated Price.

Although he was injured midway through last season, Campanaro was a deadly weapon that the coaching staff is looking to replace, as he hauled in 229 passes for more than 2,000 yards and 14 touchdowns during his time in Winston-Salem.

Look for returning wide receiver Tyree Harris to step up his game this season, as the Marietta, Ga., native showed great potential in his freshman campaign, catching 23 passes for 225 yards in just eight games last season. Virginia transfer E.J. Scott will also be able to play immediately and will bring much-needed experience to the young receiving corps.

Wake Forest returns only five starters on the defensive side, which will sorely miss All-ACC defensive tackle Nikita Whitlock, who gained a reputation in Winston-Salem for wreaking havoc on opposing team's offenses. The secondary is the Demon Deacons' most experienced group, as seniors Kevin Johnson and Merrill Noel will look to help Wake Forest limit opponents' passing attacks, as seniors Kevin Johnson and Merrill Noel will anchor the experienced group.

The Demon Deacons travel to Durham to close the regular season against Duke Nov. 29 at Wallace Wade Stadium.

Share and discuss “Wake Forest Season Preview” on social media.