Virginia Tech Season Preview

Virginia Tech looks to reclaim its place atop of the ACC Coastal Division in 2014 after last year's disappointing 8-5 season. The key for the Hokies will be improving on last year's unimpressive offensive performance.

Offensive coordinator Scott Loefler plans to utilize the ground game to open up a limited passing attack, most likely headed by Texas Tech transfer Michael Brewer. Depth and experience on the offensive line and in the backfield should allow Virginia Tech to produce steadily on the ground and open up the secondary for wide receivers Joshua Stanford, Willie Byrn and Demetri Knowles, all of whom racked up more than 600 yards receiving last year.

There is no question in Blacksburg—the Hokies' defensive unit is the strength of this team. Anchored by young but physically-gifted cornerbacks Kendall Fuller and Brandon Facyson, the Virginia Tech secondary is one of the best in the conference, if not the nation. A strong defensive line will make up for a relatively weak linebacking core, allowing Fuller, Facyson, and senior safeties Detrick Bonner and Kyshoen Jarrett to lock down opponents' passing games.

The Hokies might not resemble the iconic Frank Beamer teams of old, but an improved offensive attack and a potentially lights-out defensive secondary may be enough to improve on last year's eight-win season.

Share and discuss “Virginia Tech Season Preview” on social media.