Tulane Season Preview

A year ago Tulane earned its first bowl bid since 2002, but inexperience and a lack of depth will make a repeat postseason appearance difficult for third-year head coach Curtis Johnson and the Green Wave.

On the offensive side of the ball, Tulane has five key starters returning but will struggle to replace its two most explosive options, running back Orleans Darkwa and wide receiver Ryan Grant. Darkwa, a four-year starter, rushed for 863 yards and a dozen touchdowns a year ago, and Grant accounted for more than 43 percent of the Green Wave's receiving yards and nearly half of its touchdown grabs. Throw in a three-way quarterback battle between last year's primary starter, Nick Montana, sophomore Devin Powell and redshirt freshman Tanner Lee, and the Green Wave offense will have some major question marks heading into week one.

Things look slightly more promising on the defensive side of the ball, but inexperience remains an issue. Tulane's secondary should anchor the unit, returning four key pieces from a year ago, including talented Memphis transfer Taurean Nixon. The Green Wave also looks solid at the front four, but the loss of six contributors from a year ago has left the cupboard bare at the linebacker position.

Perhaps the biggest lost from a season ago for Tulane is former All-American kicker Cairo Santos. Although the Green Wave returns its starting punter and return men, replacing the best kicker in school history will be no small task.

Share and discuss “Tulane Season Preview” on social media.