Miami Season Preview

After storming out of the gates with seven straight wins to start the 2013 season, the Hurricanes dropped four of their last six to finish the season 9-4.

The one key player missing for a chunk of the 2013 season: Duke Johnson. The hometown junior tore his ACL Nov. 2 against Florida State, ending the explosive All-ACC player's season. But Miami expects to have him at full strength in 2014 and he has reportedly used the offseason to increase his strength and speed.

A major question has been who will be throwing the football when opposing defenses limit Johnson on the ground. Senior Ryan Williams, a transfer from Memphis, was set to take the job vacated by Stephen Morris, but tore his ACL in the offseason. True freshman Brad Kaaya recently locked up the starting job, but don't be surprised if Kansas transfer Jake Heaps comes in to relieve Kaaya if he struggles.

Whoever is under center will have a number weapons at his disposal. Senior Phillip Dorsett, who is coming off an injury, will be joined by 2013 Freshman All-America Stacey Coley, junior Herb Waters and true freshman Braxton Berrios. Dorsett did not play against the Blue Devils last season and Coley missed most of the November matchup with a concussion he sustained in the first half.

On defense, All-ACC linebacker Denzel Perryman and defensive tackle Anthony Chickillo will look to help improve a defense that gave up 426 yards per game last season. A more experienced secondary should help limit the passing games, as 2013 heavy contributors Tracy Howard, Deion Bush and Ladarius Gunter return along with former running back Dallas Crawford.

Duke travels to Miami Sept. 27 to play its first conference game, a contest that may have ACC title complications down the road.

Share and discuss “Miami Season Preview” on social media.