Halftime Report: Duke football vs. Elon

The Blue Devils lead 28-6 after getting off to a hot start at a packed Wallace Wade Stadium. Redshirt senior quarterback Anthony Boone started the game on a high note with an 11 play, 61-yard drive that resulted in a four-yard flare pass to wide receiver Issac Blakeney. Elon responded with a scoring drive of its own, that resulted in a 36-yard field goal by kicker John Gallagher.

But Duke struck again in early in the second quarter, when the familiar duo of Boone and senior All-ACC receiver Jamison Crowder connected on the first play of the offense's third drive for a 46-yard touchdown. Midway through the second quarter, Boone got some help from his running backs, Josh Snead and Shaquille Powell who combined for 67 out of the 80 yards on the Blue Devils' third scoring drive, which extended the Duke lead to 18 points. A second touchdown pass to Blakeney with 1:01 to play in the half set the score at 28-6.

The Blue Devil defense held the Elon offensive attack to just 165 yards and six points in the first half. The Phoenix were forced to punt on three of their five first half possessions. Neither team was able to force a turnover, but Duke did notch two sacks in the first quarter.

Observations from the first half:

• The Blue Devil offense out gained the Phoenix 287 yards to 165 yards.

• On both of its trips to the red zone, Elon had to settle for field goals.

• Boone seemed very comfortable in the pocket and was accurate with a majority of his throws, completing 13-of-19 passes for 170 yards and three touchdowns.

• The Duke receiving corp dropped three passes in the first quarter, one by Johnell Barnes and two by Crowder.

• Crowder finished the half with four receptions for 67 yards and a touchdown.

• Wide receiver Issac Blakeney, who recently assumed the role of an outside receiver, caught three passes for 41 yards and two touchdowns. Blakeney benefited from a Phoenix secondary that was fixated on containing Crowder for much of the game.

• Redshirt junior tight end David Reeves, who was pressed into the starting position because of the injury to Braxton Deaver, caught two passes for 22 yards.

• The Blue Devils converted a fourth down with just under two minutes to play in the half, keeping a late second quarter scoring drive alive to make the score 28-6.

• The defensive line sacked Elon quarterback Mike Quinn two times in the first half, with Carlos Wray and Dezmond Johnson each recording a sack.

• Redshirt sophomore quarterback Thomas Sirk took his first career snap in the second quarter, running for four yards.

• Running backs Shaquille Powell and Josh Snead split time in the backfield, with Snead leading the way on eight carries for 59 yards.

• The Blue Devil defense struggled to contain Elon running backs B.J. Bennett and Tracey Coppedge at times, with the duo finishing the half with 78 yards on the ground.

• DeVon Edwards led the Duke defense with seven tackles. David Helton, the ACC's leading tackler in 2013, had four.

• Former Duke coach and current South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier was honored along with the rest of his 1989 team, which was the last Duke team to at least clinch a share of the ACC Title.

Share and discuss “Halftime Report: Duke football vs. Elon” on social media.