Freshman spotlight: East

Meet Anuhita Basavaraju from Jericho, New York, an incoming East Residence Hall (formerly known as Aycock dorm) resident. This interview is part of a summer blog series profiling one Class of 2018 member from each of the 14 East Campus dorms. Look out for the rest of the blogs on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays through Orientation Week.

Major: Undecided, but possibly psychology, philosophy or public policy. "I think I’m going pre-med, but I’ve always loved the humanities and want them to be a big part of my time at Duke too."

Summer plans: "Bumming around, hanging out with friends and traveling a bit. I went to Lake George for a few days and went boating, hiking, biking, and zip lining. I’ve been in India for the past few weeks and am coming back Aug. 15."

Favorite type of weather: Crisp autumn weather.

Guilty pleasure: "Binge watching Netflix—e.g. Gossip Girl, Parks & Rec, Disney movies etc.—in bed."

Impressions from first visit to Duke: "Beautiful campus and cool people doing what they were passionate about."

What she will add to the East dorm community: "I’ve heard that East has a super strong sense of community, so I hope to contribute to that in whatever way fits for me. I love joking around and having “nerdy” discussions... so I hope that people at East feel comfortable doing so with me."

Things she's excited to try out at Duke: "Following basketball. Sadly my basketball career peaked in the third grade, and I’ve never been one to follow sports. My high school didn’t have a lot of school spirit, so I’ll indulge in that at Duke. Regardless of the fact that I’ll have 0 idea about what’s actually going on, I’ll attempt to understand for Duke."

What she's most nervous about at Duke: "Not finding my niche."

If she could be famous for one thing, what it would be: "Something that combines social justice and medicine."

Weirdest thing she plans to pack: A copy of "Oh The Places You’ll Go" by Dr. Seuss.

Any last thoughts: "I’ve lived in Long Island my whole life and was in the same school district for all 13 years of my education, so I’m super excited to branch out and meet everyone."

Share and discuss “Freshman spotlight: East” on social media.