Freshman spotlight: Bassett

Meet Ricardo Alvarez-Estarellas, an incoming Bassett dorm resident from Ponce, Puerto Rico. This interview is part of a summer blog series profiling one Class of 2018 member from each of the 14 East Campus dorms. Look out for the rest of the blogs on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays leading up to Orientation Week.

Major: Double major in chemistry and statistical science.

Pre-orientation: International orientation.

Summer plans: "To mostly rest and spend time with friends and family. I also went to the U.S. Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands."

Favorite type of weather: "Coming from a yearlong warm climate, I'm looking forward to snowy and winter days. I really like rainy days."

Favorite book or literary work: "Conica de una muerte anunciada" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. "I want to read more of [Marquez]… The day he passed away I was at Duke."

Guilty pleasure: "I enjoy playing fantasy sports. My phone and I are inseparable on Sunday afternoons in the fall. My enjoyment of fantasy sports has maybe also been part of my decision pursue a major in statistical science."

Impressions from first visit to Duke: "I remember feeling that i was already part of Duke. The unmatched goosebumps I experienced every time a student or former student gave a speech during my visit let me know I'd be coming back."

What he will add to the Bassett community: "I want to be a person that people know and trust in any situation. I'm pretty open minded so wont find any opinions to be outrageous. I look forward to being a part of many late nights with my neighbors whether that's studying or … enjoying a night out in the city."

Things he's excited to try out at Duke: "I'm excited about experiencing the atmosphere inside Cameron Indoor during a basketball game. It seems unreal. I'm also pretty excited about learning German and about the fact that I have no morning classes."

What he's most nervous about at Duke: "Making sure I have time to try everything I want without only sleeping three hours a day. I have various interests and usually have a hard time saying 'no' to getting involved in new activities."

If he could be famous for one thing, what it would be: "It would be pretty cool to be the first person ever attempting and succeeding at performing a certain type of shoulder or ankle surgery."

Weirdest thing I plan to pack: "A cleaning mitt. Or a bottle opener. Or a camping tent, though I have a feeling tents aren't weird at Duke."

Essential dorm decorating item: "A map to drop pins on the places I meet people from. I found one in my house and I thought it would be a good idea."

Any last thoughts: "I'm extremely proud to be a Blue Devil. It's an understatement to say we all have a lot to offer… let's not be afraid to put into practice the qualities that made us stand out. I look forward to long late-night conversation about how me might be able to change the world just as much as I look forward to the awesome parties that we'll have after each set of midterms. I look forward to meeting every type of person at Duke."

Share and discuss “Freshman spotlight: Bassett” on social media.