Duke football injury report: Elon

As the Blue Devils prepare to take on Elon at Wallace Wade Stadium Saturday at 6 p.m., Duke released its weekly injury report. Here’s a rundown of the players are listed on the injury report this week:

OUT

TE Dan Bellinson (upper body)

CB Johnathan Lloyd (lower body)

OL Trip McNeill (lower body)

OL Jake Sanders (upper body)

OUT FOR SEASON

LB Kelby Brown (leg)

TE Braxton Deaver (leg)

DE Taariq Shabazz (leg)

Breakdown: No surprises on the first injury report of the season, as outside of linebacker Kelby Brown and tight end Braxton Deaver, all starters appear to be healthy for the Saturday's season opener. Neither of the All-ACC players will be available this season, but both can apply for a sixth year of eligibility.

Freshman defensive end Taariq Shabazz, who was expected to compete for playing time this season, sustained a leg injury during Fall Camp and will likely redshirt in 2014.

An upper body injury to Raleigh-native Dan Bellinson adds a blow to an already depleted tight end position, but the duo of Erich Schneider and David Reeves is expected to be enough depth for this week.

Freshmen offensive linemen Trip McNeill and Jake Sanders will also not suit up for tomorrow's game with lower and upper body injuries, respectively. Their status for this season is not set in stone, but with an already deep offensive line, they are ripe candidates for redshirts, especially if they cannot get healthy in time for future games.

Johnathan Lloyd, who was originally recruited as a quarterback and saw time under center in the Spring Game back in March, had surgery on his left ankle back in July. His status for the rest of the season will depend on how long his recovery takes.

Be sure to check Blue Zone next Thursday for the weekly injury report vs. Troy.

Share and discuss “Duke football injury report: Elon” on social media.