Duke football 2014-15 position preview: Linebacker

Although the Blue Devils return 14 starters this year, there are still new names to learn. We will break down each of the 10 major position groups: running backs, quarterbacks, offensive line, receivers, defensive ends, defensive tackles, linebackers, defensive backs, kicker/punter and punt/kickoff returners to prepare you for the regular season.

Duke's linebacking corp was a core part of a much improved defense last season that helped the Blue Devils to one of the best scoring margins in the ACC and one of the nation's best fourth quarter defenses. Both Kelby Brown and David Helton combined as one of the best tackling duos in the ACC, amassing more than a combined 200 tackles last season, which put them individually as top 10 tacklers in the ACC. With Brown out for the season with a torn ACL, every other member of the linebacking crew will have to step into a new role on the gridiron.

Key players lost:

The linebackers did not loose anyone to graduation, rather it was Brown who was lost for the season to injury. His presence will be sorely missed as he had 114 tackles, including 11 for loss last season. He also came up with key interceptions in the Virginia Tech and North Carolina games en route to Duke's ACC Championship appearance. But it might be Brown's leadership that will be missed more than his talent, as he was the most vocal leader of the linebackers. Even David Helton said that he had always been a more quiet player and admitted that he will have to step into a more profound role in light of Brown's absence.

Projected Starters:

Helton is not a name to overlook. Although Brown came up with a lot of the big plays last season, Helton became the workhorse of the defense, becoming the first player since Michael Tauiliili in 2008 to lead the ACC in tackles. Helton also has plenty of playing experience dating back to his freshman year in 2011, which helps explain why he was pegged an All-ACC player by a number of publications this summer. Look for him to quietly get the grunt work done necessary in the trenches and become a crucial part of the Blue Devils' run defense. Deion Williams and C.J. France are currently battling it out for Brown's starting assignment, so it is likely that both will see significant playing time this fall. France seems like the most-suited to start in Brown's place, as he recorded 60 tackles and an interception when Brown sat out the 2012 season with a knee injury. But Williams, who has seen most of his time on special teams, is a talented junior that is pushing France for the starting job. Although Williams has only started one game in his career, coaches think he can have a breakout season.

Dark Horse:

Brown spoke very highly of redshirt freshman Chris Holmes this summer, who made the switch from safety to linebacker in the Spring. Holmes will be of use in pass coverage coming from safety, as he has the speed and versatility to match up with most tight ends and even some receivers. Especially with Brown out, Holmes will likely see the field in a reserve role, but could be pushed into an even larger role later in the season when injuries could take their toll. After a whole year of developing in the system, look for Holmes to make a bang with his Duke debut this season.

Coach Cut on the LBs:

"David does his job. He does it consistently, he does it without drama and I think David cherishes his role. He’s going to make the plays he’s supposed to make. You’ve got to play a lot of football snaps and play consistently to have that many tackles."

Share and discuss “Duke football 2014-15 position preview: Linebacker” on social media.