The Chronicle's 2014 NBA Mock Draft

With the NBA Draft hours away, six of The Chronicle's current and former editors in the sports department give their final predictions for tonight's draft, including the landing spots of the three former Duke players, their predicted lottery picks and their take on who will be the draft's biggest bust, biggest steal and Rookie of the Year.

Nick Martin

Volume 110 sports editor and football beat writer.

Duke Picks:

• Jabari Parker: No. 2, Milwaukee Bucks. Although Duke fans may not want Jabari to end up on a hapless Bucks squad, they do provide Jabari with a good situation. They have a solid core of young and talented, albeit unpolished, players. The Cavs have been pretty noncommittal to who they want to take and according to Steve Wiseman of the Durham Herald-Sun, Jabari said the Bucks told him if he's available, they're taking him.
  • Rodney Hood: No. 9, Charlotte Hornets. Hood received good feedback from His Airness' squad but this one is not as secure. The Hornets also had their eye on Doug McDermott and Nik Stauskus and Hood did get sick during their first meeting, forcing him to miss the workout. But even if Charlotte ends up passing on Hood, don't expect him to be on the board long. The 76ers were reportadly very interested in Hood and they have the No. 10 pick.
  • Andre Dawkins: Undrafted. 'Dre's sweet stroke won't be able to carry him in a draft full of deadeye shooters. Look for him to play in the Summer League and be picked up as a free agent. Someone's going to need a shooter eventually.

Lottery order:

1. Cleveland Cavaliers— Andrew Wiggins

2. Milwaukee Bucks—Jabari Parker

3. Philadelphia 76ers—Joel Embiid

4. Orlando Magic—Dante Exum

5. Utah Jazz—Noah Vonleh

6. Boston Celtics—Aaron Gordon

7. Los Angeles Lakers—Julius Randle

8. Sacramento Kings—Marcus Smart

9. Charlotte Hornets—Rodney Hood

10. Philadelphia 76ers—Doug McDermott

11. Denver Nuggets—Elfrid Payton

12. Orlando Magic—Gary Harris

13. Minnesota Timberwolves—Zach LaVine

14. Phoenix Suns—Nik Stauskas

• Biggest bust: Joel Embiid. It's the popular pick because it's just so true. Look no further than Greg Oden. Big men have scary upsides but that also means they have scary downsides too, namely injuries. If Embiid can stay healthy for the grueling 82-game, then he will indeed be a force to be reckoned with. But he has not been healthy as of the past six months and a top-five pick on him—which is surely coming—is a lot to wager.
    • Biggest steal: This one is a tie. I think Adrian Payne of Michigan State and T.J. Warren of N.C. State are both guys that can easily slip outside the lottery. And if you paid attention to them in college, you'll know the true potential for both is quite high. Payne can bang with the big boys of the League while Warren has time in and time out proved that if there is one thing he's good at, it's getting buckets. If either falls out of the lottery, they'll have a chance to come off the bench and be exceptional sixth men and make a lot of teams wish they had called their names.
    • Rookie of the Year: Jabari Parker. The Chicago native is easily the most polished player in this draft and will have an instant impact on whoever selects him. On the Bucks, he will be able to come in and put up big numbers early and often, as the rest of the team is filled with raw, untapped talent. If the team grows around him as they should, he should run away with the award.

Ryan Hoerger

Volume 110 Sports Managing Editor and men's basketball beat writer.

Duke Picks:

• Jabari Parker: No. 1, Cleveland Cavaliers - The Cavaliers took a gamble on Anthony Bennett with the top pick last year, and it backfired. Drafting Parker—ahead of Wiggins—is the safer option for Cleveland, as Parker is more polished and ready to help the Cavaliers take a step in the right direction sooner.
    • Rodney Hood: No. 14, Phoenix Suns - Phoenix just missed out on the playoffs a season ago, and could look to Hood to help them get over the hump in 2014-15. He can help spread the floor in Jeff Hornacek's exciting offense, spotting up opposite Channing Frye and driving to the basket with his strong left hand.
    • Andre Dawkins: Undrafted. As gifted a shooter as Dawkins is, the questions about his all-around game, particularly on the defensive end, may end up being too much for teams to risk a pick on him. Nevertheless, Dawkins should have a chance to crack a roster as an undrafted free agent, but could be destined for the Seth Curry route of putting up big numbers in the D-League.

Lottery Order:

1. Cleveland Cavaliers— Jabari Parker

2. Milwaukee Bucks—Andrew Wiggins

3. Philadelphia 76ers—Dante Exum

4. Orlando Magic—Joel Embiid

5. Utah Jazz—Noah Vonleh

6. Boston Celtics—Marcus Smart

7. Los Angeles Lakers—Aaron Gordon

8. Sacramento Kings—Julius Randle

9. Charlotte Hornets—Doug McDermott

10. Philadelphia 76ers—Nik Stauskas

11. Denver Nuggets—Adreian Payne

12. Orlando Magic—Gary Harris

13. Minnesota Timberwolves—T.J. Warren

14. Phoenix Suns—Rodney Hood

• Biggest bust: Aaron Gordon. The Arizona product is a projected lottery pick because of his tremendous upside and his tremendous athleticism, but he'll need to develop quickly to justify that decision for the team that drafts him. Gordon's athleticism and rebounding prowess are without question, but he'll need to dramatically improve his shooting from outside the paint and his woeful 42 percent clip from the charity stripe.
    • Biggest steal: Adreian Payne. The 6-foot-10 center from Michigan State can do it all: score in the paint, step out behind the arc, rebound, run the floor and protect the rim. Although he's a bit of an injury risk, Payne could carve out a nice role for himself on his new team.
    • Rookie of the Year: Whoever the Cavaliers pick. With Embiid out for most of the season, Wiggins and Parker are the two biggest-impact names entering the league. Whoever the Cavaliers select will be in a much better position than the other, who will presumably end up a Milwaukee Buck. Playing opposite Kyrie Irving will make either Wiggins or Parker a secondary threat, and give them chances to put up large numbers.

Bobby Colton

Former Blue Zone editor and men’s basketball beat writer.

Duke predictions:

• Jabari Parker: No. 1, Cleveland Cavaliers. Parker will be picked first. Not by the Cavaliers, who will most certainly be trying to trade out of the spot as fast as possible, but by either the Orlando Magic or the Utah Jazz. It's hard to picture a better return for the first pick than Arron Afflalo, and two lottery picks in this year's draft, but a deal of Derek Favors, Alec Burks and some picks including the fifth overall selection this year could do the trick. Parker either gets to shine in Orlando as the team's only real offensive weapon, or becomes a hero in Utah playing under former Duke player and coach Quin Snyder, replacing the value that may be lost if old Duke nemesis Gordon Hayward signs elsewhere as a free agent.
    • Rodney Hood: No. 19, Chicago Bulls. For now I have Hood going 19th to the Bulls. Chicago may try to trade out of the pick, but if they make the selection Hood should be their guy, where he can add outside shooting and instant offense off the bench. Unfortunately for Hood, his age and lack of defense will result in his name being called after those of Nik Stauskas, Gary Harris, James Young and T.J. Warren. He may even slip behind former North Carolina star P.J. Hairston.
    • Andre Dawkins: Undrafted. Dawkins is a one-trick pony. He'll be playing Summer League ball with someone, but there's no sense in wasting a draft pick on 'Dre.

Lottery Order:

1. Utah Jazz: Jabari Parker

2. Milwaukee Bucks: Andrew Wiggins

3. Philadelphia 76ers: Dante Exum

4. Orlando Magic: Noah Vonleh

5. Cleveland Cavaliers: Joel Embiid

6. Boston Celtics: Marcus Smart

7. L.A. Lakers: Julius Randle

8. Sacramento Kings: Elfrid Payton

9. Charlotte Hornets: Doug McDermott

10. Philadelphia 76ers: Aaron Gordon

11. Denver Nuggets: Gary Harris

12. Orlando Magic: Jusuf Nurkic

13. Minnesota Timberwolves— Nik Stauskas

14. Phoenix Suns— T.J. Warren

• Biggest Bust: Aaron Gordon. Joel Embiid doesn't count, even though I'd be terrified of his injuries if I were selecting tonight. So I'll go with Gordon. Nobody in this draft screams bust, and Gordon will be a solid defender if nothing else, but there's a very real chance his raw athleticism doesn't translate as gracefully to the NBA scene as Blake Griffin's did -- his most common player comp. Gordon may never figure things out on offense and may end up just one in a long line of energy bigs. He'll have a long NBA career, but he may not have a spectacular one.
    • Biggest Steal: Kyle Anderson. I don't consider anyone in the lottery a steal, though the mystery surrounding foreign big man Jusuf Nurkic is tantalizing, especially considering he's coming to the states immediately. So I fall on Anderson. The UCLA product is a wizard with the basketball, even though he may not be the most athletic or the best shooter on the floor. Anderson is a guy who just knows how to play basketball, and in the right system he's going to be quite the catch for some team. Other players that received consideration are Jarnell Stokes from Tennessee and K.J. McDaniels of Clemson.
    • Rookie of the Year: Jabari Parker. With the exception of the Cavaliers, Parker is going to come in Day 1 and be the best offensive player on his team -- whoever ultimately chooses him. After averaging close to 20 points per game for Cleveland/Milwaukee/Philadelphia/Orlando/Utah. We saw last year how empty stats can result in Rookie of the Year votes with Michael Carter-Williams. We'll see the same thing again this year for whatever bad team Parker plays for.

Amrith Ramkumar

Current Blue Zone editor and men’s basketball beat writer

Duke Predictions:

• Jabari Parker: No. 2, Milwaukee Bucks. Based on reports that Parker has gained weight since leaving Duke and did not put his best foot forward in his meeting with the Cavaliers, I went with Wiggins at the top spot to the Cavaliers and Parker to the Bucks, then the rest of the dominoes fell into place.
    • Rodney Hood: No. 9, Charlotte Hornets. The Hornets are in dire need of perimeter shooting, but I think concerns about Stauskas and McDermott being one-way players cause the team to take Hood.
    • Andre Dawkins: Undrafted, eventually ends up with the Detroit Pistons

Lottery Order:

1. Cleveland Cavaliers—Andrew Wiggins

2. Milwaukee Bucks—Jabari Parker

3. Philadelphia 76ers—Dante Exum

4. Orlando Magic—Joel Embiid

5. Utah Jazz—Julius Randle

6. Boston Celtics—Marcus Smart

7. Los Angeles Lakers—Aaron Gordon

8. Sacramento Kings—Elfrid Payton

9. Charlotte Hornets—Rodney Hood

10. Philadelphia 76ers—Noah Vonleh

11. Denver Nuggets—Zach LaVine

12. Orlando Magic—Tyler Ennis

13. Minnesota Timberwolves—Doug McDermott

14. Phoenix Suns—Nik Stauskas

• Biggest steal: Zach LaVine. If LaVine indeed becomes a late lottery pick, I have him as my steal of the draft because of his untapped potential. However, if Payton slips into the late lottery or even out of the lottery, the Louisana-Lafayette product would be my selection.
    • Biggest bust: Joel Embiid. Embiid’s injury concerns give me reason to believe that he will be the biggest bust if selected in the top five, although Vonleh would be my second choice, especially if he is selected at the fifth spot by the Jazz. Both players are still extremely raw and have a long way to go.
    • Rookie of the year: Jabari Parker. Regardless of where he ends up, I have Parker as Rookie of the Year because of his NBA-ready offensive game.

Daniel Carp

Volume 109 sports editor and men's basketball beat writer

Duke predicitions:

• Jabari Parker—No. 2,Milwaukee Bucks
    • Rodney Hood: No. 14, Phoenix Suns
    • Andre Dawkins: Undrafted

Lottery order:

1. Cleveland Cavaliers—Andrew Wiggins

2. Miwaukee Bucks—Jabari Parker

3. Philadelphia 76ers—Joel Embiid

4. Orlando Magic—Dante Exum

5. Utah Jazz—Vonleh

6. Minnesota Timberwolves (trade Kevin Love to Celtics for picks No. 6 and 17, 2015 first-round pick, Kelly Olynyk and Jared Sullinger)—Aaron Gordon

7. Philadelphia 76ers (trade Michael Carter-Williams and Thaddeus Young to Lakers for Steve Nash, Ryan Kelly and No. 7 overall)— Julius Randle

8. Chicago Bulls (trade No. 16 and 19 and Mike Dunleavy, Jr. to Kings)—Marcus Smart

9. Charlotte Hornets—Doug McDermott

10. Philadelphia 76ers—Nik Stauskas

11. Denver Nuggets—Gary Harris

12. Orlando Magic—Jusuf Nurkic

13. Minnesota Timberwolves—Young

14. Phoenix Suns—Rodney Hood

• Biggest bust: Zach LaVine
    • Biggest steal: Kyle Anderson, Mitch McGary in the bottom five of the first round. Or whoever the Spurs pick.
    • Rookie of the Year: Jabari Parker

Brian Mazur

Current sports social media editor and football beat writer.

• Jabari Parker: No. 1, Cleveland Cavaliers
    • Rodney Hood: No. 18, Phoenix Suns
    • Andre Dawkins: Undrafted

Lottery Order:

1. Cleveland Cavaliers—Jabari Parker

2. Milwaukee Bucks—Andrew Wiggins

3. Philadelphia 76ers—Dante Exum

4. Orlando Magic—Joel Embiid

5. Utah Jazz—Aaron Gordon

6. Boston Celtics—Noah Vonleh

7. Los Angeles Lakers—Elfrid Payton

8. Sacramento Kings—Marcus Smart

9. Charlotte Hornets—Julius Randle

10. Philadelphia 76ers—Doug McDermott

11. Denver Nuggets—Gary Harris

12. Orlando Magic—Nik Stauskas

13. Minnesota Timberwolves—T.J. Warren

14. Phoenix Suns—Zach LaVine

• Biggest bust: Zach LaVine
    • Biggest steal: Shabazz Napier
    • Rookie of the Year: Jabari Parker

Share and discuss “The Chronicle's 2014 NBA Mock Draft” on social media.