Duke in the NBA: 8 former Blue Devils advance to the playoffs

Miles Plumlee, Phoenix Suns: Plumlee did not quite finish off his season as well as he would have liked. The big man averaged 5.7 points and 5.5 rebounds per game in the Suns’ last eight games, as they lost the eighth seed in the West to the Grizzlies. Still, Plumlee had an exceptional year by his standards and was a key cog in the Suns’ surprising playoff push. Plumlee’s strong and consistent play should earn him a spot on some ballots for the Most Improved Player award.

Mason Plumlee, Brooklyn Nets: The second of the “Plum-dog Millionares” ended his season on an absolute tear, averaging 13.7 points and 7.2 rebounds during his final six games. He also made one of the plays of the year with this monstrous game-saving block on an attempted Lebron James throw-down.

Youtube Player

Plumlee's strong play has been as surprising as his brother’s and he will be a key factor in the Nets’ playoff run. He also will likely find himself near the top of many Rookie of the Year ballots—a place few people predicted at the beginning of the season.

Gerald Henderson, Charlotte Bobcats: Henderson was solid in the Bobcats’ final seven games, averaging 10.7 points, 4.0 rebounds, and 2.0 assists. Henderson will need to pick up his game even more in the playoffs if the Bobcats are to have any shot of upsetting the Heat in the first round.

Josh McRoberts, Charlotte Bobcats: McRoberts finished his season solidly as well, averaging 7.0 points, 3.0 rebounds, and 5.4 assists in his final five games. Overall, McRoberts may not have had his best NBA season statistically, but he has established himself as a solid NBA role player.

Elton Brand, Atlanta Hawks: Brand averaged 6.4 points and 5.3 rebounds per game for his last eight games, as the Hawks held off the Knicks to earn the eighth and final playoff spot in the East—despite being six games under .500.

Carlos Boozer, Chicago Bulls: Boozer continued to play well in his new role of just playing in the first and third quarters, averaging 12.7 points and 8.0 rebounds in the Bulls' last seven games. Boozer can’t be too happy with limited playing time, but is making the most of it and still remains a key player for the Bulls.

Mike Dunleavy, Jr., Chicago Bulls: Dunleavy ended his season strongly, scoring in double figures in six of the Bulls’ final seven games. Dunleavy averaged 13.7 points during that stretch, and also added 4.6 rebounds per game.

Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers: Irving exploded for 44 points two weeks ago against the Bobcats, but since then hasn’t been quite as effective, averaging just 12.5 points per game in the Cavs final four games. This season has no doubt been a disappointing one for Irving, as his scoring dropped from last year and his field goal percentage was the lowest of his three-year career. Irving will look forward to the offseason, where he can hopefully regroup and come back next year looking more like the Uncle Drew of old.

Luol Deng, Cleveland Cavaliers: The end of Deng’s season ended like his entire season went—poorly. Deng missed the Cavaliers' final three games with a sore back. Deng’s time with the Cavaliers did not work out, as he averaged just 14.3 points per game with the squad, and there are rumors that the Cavs will look to trade him in the offseason.

JJ Redick, Los Angeles Clippers: Redick played decently returning from a back injury at end of the season, averaging 12.5 points in his final four games. Redick and the Clippers both hope that he will be able to return to his strong early-season form to help them in their push to win the West.

Ryan Kelly, Los Angeles Lakers: Kelly averaged 10.3 points and 5.3 rebounds for the Lakers' final six games. Like fellow rookie Mason Plumlee, Kelly also had a better than expected rookie campaign, and was one of the few bright spots in an absolutely terrible Laker season.

Shane Battier, Miami Heat: Battier played a season-high 40 minutes in the Heat’s final game against the 76ers, and made three of his four 3-point attempts for nine points. Battier will be a key player for the Heat in their quest to three-peat with his stellar defense and hustle.

Kyle Singler, Detroit Pistons: Singler finished his year solidly, averaging 10.6 points in the Pistons’ final seven games. Overall, Singler had a very nice sophomore season, staying exactly the same or improving in every major statistical category except rebounds—likely because the 6-foot-8 player was stuck playing shooting guard for a good portion of the season.

Austin Rivers, New Orleans Pelicans: Rivers got the start at point guard for the Pelicans' final four games and played pretty well. The sophomore guard averaged 16.0 points, 5.3 assists, and 5.8 rebounds during those four games. Rivers’ second season, particularly the second half of the season, was a marked improvement from his rookie year, and showed that he definitely belongs in the NBA.

Eliot Williams, Philadelphia 76ers: Eliot Williams finished off his season strongly, scoring in double figures in six of the last seven games for the 76ers. It is unclear if Williams would be able to get as much playing time and put up similar numbers on a team that did not lose 26 straight games this season, but we will never know.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: 8 former Blue Devils advance to the playoffs” on social media.