Duke basketball 2013-14 player review: Semi Ojeleye

With Duke's season in the books, The Blue Zone will review the seasons of all the Blue Devils, beginning with the freshman Monday and ending with the seniors and graduate students Friday.

Semi Ojeleye

• Year: Freshman
  • Height: 6-foot-7
  • Position: Forward
  • This year's stat line: 1.6 PPG, 0.9 RPG, 17 games played
  • The Blue Zone's projected stat line: 2.1 PPG, 1.3 RPG, 0.5 BPG, 0.5 SPG
Season breakdown: It's hard to describe anyone who averaged 38 points per game in his senior year of high school as a "raw" talent, but the prevailing assumption was that Semi Ojeleye still had some catching up to do during his freshman season in Durham. When he did see the court, Ojeleye was markedly efficient, knocking down 50.0 percent of his shots from the floor—including four of his seven attempts from long range—and hitting 10-of-11 free throws. That type of efficiency has to be a positive sign of things to come for a guy who was arguably the most athletic player on Duke's roster last season.

Results relative to expectations: If you were to give Ojeleye a grade for this year, it would ultimately be an incomplete. Nobody expected Ojeleye to be an impact player on this year's team, so his flashes of success only served as a positive sign as the Kansan looks forward to his sophomore campaign.

Looking toward next year, Ojeleye should serve a bigger role in the Blue Devil rotation, and don't be surprised if he enters the year competing for a starting spot with incoming small forward Justise Winslow. Duke fans will get a closer look at what Ojeleye is capable of accomplishing in extended minutes when Duke's 2014-15 squad takes the court.

In case you've missed it, we've already reviewed: Alex Murphy, Matt Jones

Share and discuss “Duke basketball 2013-14 player review: Semi Ojeleye” on social media.