Film Review: Non-Stop

Special to The Chronicle
Special to The Chronicle

Dir. Jaume Collet-Serra
Universal Pictures
3.5/5 stars

How did a 61-year-old Liam Neeson become our biggest action star? Ever since 2008’s “Taken,” Neeson has consistently drawn the biggest audiences of his career. Is this because of his gruff, authoritative charisma, or does America just like old people punching things (hence the success of “The Expendables”)? “Non-Stop,” the best and most recent of Neeson’s action movies, makes a convincing case for the former argument.

“Non-Stop” is the second movie Neeson has made with Spanish director Jaume Collet-Serra after 2011’s ludicrous “Unknown.” Like “Unknown,” “Non-Stop” is the kind of movie that defies explanation. Luckily, “Non-Stop” has plenty of things to distract the audience from its paper-thin logic—namely the crackerjack premise. Neeson plays Bill Marks, a grizzled air marshal who boards a non-stop flight from New York to London. On board, he begins receiving text messages from an unknown menace that a passenger will be killed every 20 minutes unless $150 million is wired into an offshore banking account. After the mayhem ensues, Neeson is forced to find the suspect picking off travelers one-by-one. Could it be his nervous seatmate (Julianne Moore)? The uber-professional flight attendants (Michelle Dockery and Lupita Nyong’o)? His rude fellow air marshal (Anson Mount)? Or—God forbid—the pilot (Linus Roache)?

The story is delightfully twist-filled, and the film sustains its high-concept conceit throughout the entire film. Confining the action to a plane could have hampered the entertainment value, but Collet-Serra works wonders with a limited amount of space. The small jet amplifies the terror of the situation, and violence is used sparingly enough that it’s a real shock when it does happen—a refreshing departure from other Neeson action movies.

“Non-Stop” falls apart a little in its chaotic third act. When the villain’s motivations are revealed, the film bends over backwards to justify its turn into convoluted political critique. What should be the most thrilling part of the movie is diluted by too much nonsense.

That being said, the impressive cast cements it as a worthwhile film. While recent Oscar-winner Nyong’o is wasted in a nothing role, Dockery of “Downton Abbey” proves a highlight of the supporting cast. Dockery is more of a Bond girl than a flight attendant. Her steely, British resolve is an excellent fit for the part, and she’s adept in her action scenes. Julianne Moore transcends her thankless role as Neeson’s presumptive love interest with her humor and sharpness.

Of course, Liam Neeson is the biggest reason to watch “Non-Stop.” The movie is the best showcase for his new persona since he began his box office renaissance. He gets to show off his impressive range as a dramatic actor while still providing the audience with its requisite fighting. Here, Neeson makes you feel for him—and yes, there is still a lot of punching. Thanks to Neeson and Collet-Serra, what could have been a good bad movie is, shockingly, just good.

Share and discuss “Film Review: Non-Stop” on social media.