2014 NCAA tournament preview: Stephen F. Austin

Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks

Record: 31-2

Head coach: Brad Underwood (1st season)

Season summary: In his first year on the job, Brad Underwood guided his Lumberjacks to an impressive 31-2 record that included a perfect 18-0 run through the Southland Conference. Stephen F. Austin played just one team currently ranked in the BPI top 125—an early-season loss at Texas—so its first-round matchup against VCU could prove to be a stiff test. The Lumberjacks rank eighth in the nation with an average of 16.6 assists per game despite not having a single player registering more than 3.5 dimes per contest. This speaks to the depth and cohesiveness of the Stephen F. Austin roster, which has nine players averaging double-digit minutes and none logging more than 30 per game. Their best player is versatile junior forward Jacob Parker, who at 6-foot-6 leads the team in rebounding and 3-point percentage, ranking second on the squad in points, steals, blocks, and field goal percentage.

How they make a run: The Lumberjacks' deep rotation and ability to find the open man put the pressure on opponents to make plays, leading to an upset of fifth-seeded VCU.

How they falter: Untested by their weak schedule, the Lumberjacks are simply overwhelmed by the size and talent of more prominent tournament teams and are defeated convincingly in the first round.

Share and discuss “2014 NCAA tournament preview: Stephen F. Austin” on social media.