2014 NCAA tournament preview: Harvard

Harvard Crimson

Head coach: Tommy Amaker (7th season)

Record: 26-4

Season summary: A season removed from its first NCAA tournament game victory in program history, the Crimson, coached by former Duke standout Tommy Amaker, entered the 2013-14 campaign with high expectations. Harvard posted a stellar 13-1 record in the Ivy League and held its own against two NCAA tournament-bound teams early in nonconference play, losing by eight to Colorado and by five to Connecticut. The Crimson's starting five all average at least 10 points per game, with guard Wesley Saunders leading the way with 14.1. Harvard earned its third-straight NCAA tournament bid by winning the Ivy League for the third year in row, with its sole loss coming against Yale. After upsetting third-seeded New Mexico as a 14-seed last year, Harvard will look to play the the underdog once again.

How they make a run: The Crimson continue to play stingy defense—Harvard allows the 13th-fewest points per game in the nation (60.5)—and shut down Cincinnati’s 237th-ranked offense, then do the same to Michigan State.

How they falter: The Crimson struggle on the glass as they have all season—they rank 195th in defensive rebounding and 205th on the offensive glass—and fail to get the necessary second-chance opportunities needed to take down the likes of the Bearcats or Spartans.

Share and discuss “2014 NCAA tournament preview: Harvard” on social media.