X factor: Duke basketball vs. Syracuse

The Blue Devils take on the No. 2 Orange of Syracuse at 6:30 p.m. at Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y. Before every basketball game, we’ll break down a player on each team who could be the difference-maker in the upcoming contest.

Duke: guard Rasheed Sulaimon

Sulaimon has bounced around between the starting unit and the bench. Even though he earned the starting nod against No. 18 Pittsburgh however, Sulaimon managed just three points on 1-of-7 shooting. We have seen Sulaimon’s potential this season, including a 21-point performance a few weeks ago in a win against Virginia, but he has yet to have a breakout game against a ranked opponent this season. Sulaimon’s ability to shoot the three and get to the rim will be a key factor against the Syracuse zone that will be largely focused on Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood. Look for Sulaimon to have some opportunities to make a difference in this game, but the major question is whether the sophomore can execute after having an inconsistent season thus far. No matter what happened in the first 21 games this season, Sulaimon will need to play well if the Blue Devils want to overcome what will be to be an uphill battle in the Carrier Dome this evening. Sulaimon is also due for a good performance, as he his a putrid 2-for-15 in his last two games.

Syracuse: forward Rakeem Christmas

Four out of the five Orange starters are averaging double-digits in points per game this season. Christmas is the only player that lacks an extra number in his scoring average at 5.6 points per game. But the lanky forward has improved his numbers over the last three games, including a 10-point, four-rebound and three-block performance in a win against Pittsburgh on Jan. 18. In his last outing against Wake Forest, Christmas grabbed seven rebounds in a hard-fought road win. The junior also leads the team in blocks this season, using his athletic ability to alter the shots of opponents. Duke’s frontcourt has improved thanks to solid play in recent games by Amile Jefferson and Marshall Plumlee, but Christmas could potentially slip behind the defense when the Blue Devils are focusing on Syracuse’s other offensive threats.

Share and discuss “X factor: Duke basketball vs. Syracuse” on social media.