X factor: Duke basketball vs. Maryland

The Blue Devils take on the Terrapins of Maryland at 6 p.m. at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Before every basketball game, we’ll break down a player on each team who could be the difference-maker in the upcoming contest.

Duke: guard Andre Dawkins

After scoring in double-digits in three straight games, Dawkins did not find the bottom of net in last Saturday against Boston College. Even though the Blue Devils cruised past the Eagles, Duke needs Dawkins to continue to put up big numbers in ACC contests. He has the chance in this contest to take advantage of the nation’s 136th ranked defense that is giving up almost 70 points per game. In last week’s loss to Virginia, the Terrapins allowed the Cavaliers to shoot 47.1 percent from the field. If Maryland fails to bring the same defensive intensity to Durham, look for Dawkins to run off screens and spot up around the court, turning the final match-up between these two foes in to a shooting clinic.

Maryland: guard Jake Layman

With a year of experience under his belt, the sophomore has seen an expanded role this season and Layman has emerged as one of the Terrapin’s most potent threats. Layman is a streaky shooter, knocking down shots at a career-best 38.6 percent from beyond the arc, where he can be most effective. At 6-foot-8, Layman can also make an impact in the paint, making him a versatile threat against a Duke defense that will already have its hands full with Maryland’s leading scorer, Dez Wells. The Terrapins are not a great shooting team, only registering a 44.0 percent field goal percentage this season. But if Layman can make big shots early and get Maryland going offensively, the Blue Devils will have a tough time defending their home court.

Share and discuss “X factor: Duke basketball vs. Maryland” on social media.