Duke in the NBA: Trouble for Irving and Deng in Cleveland

Miles Plumlee, Phoenix Suns:

Mason Plumlee, Brooklyn Nets: The middle Plumlee has received at least 10 minutes in the past four games, and his scoring has shot up—he's averaging eight points per game over that span, on 75.0 percent shooting. His other stats are relatively scatter-shot, but—unsurprising to Duke fans—he still managed to nearly foul out in consecutive games this week, despite only playing 12 and 19 minutes in them, respectively.

Gerald Henderson, Charlotte Bobcats: As Henderson goes, the Bobcats go. The shooting guard led Charlotte to two wins this week, notching 20 points as the Bobcats topped the Lakers and an even more impressive 17-point, eight-rebound, six-assist line against Golden State. However, in a loss to Phoenix, Henderson only tallied six points. Although his stats reveal a high-volume, low-efficiency guard, he still remains a significant contributor to a surprising Charlotte team currently entrenched at the No. 8 seed in the East.

Josh McRoberts, Charlotte Bobcats: McRoberts had another solid if unspectacular week during the Bobcats' road trip. He averaged 9.3 points, 4.6 rebounds, and 3.6 assists per game this week, just about in line with his season averages.

Elton Brand, Atlanta Hawks: Brand had perhaps his best game of the year Friday as he returned to Philadelphia—the veteran notched a season-high 18 points and seven rebounds as the Hawks clobbered the 76ers. Unfortunately, not every matchup is so favorable: Brand is averaging just 4.8 points and 4.1 rebounds per game this season.

Carlos Boozer, Chicago Bulls: Boozer made headlines this week by openly pining for more crunch-time minutes. The rest of Boozer's season, however, has been remarkably unremarkable: he played poorly in two losses this week—shooting just 26.1 percent combined in those games—before tallying 19 points and 12 rebounds in a win over Phoenix Tuesday. The big man was absent Thursday night when the Bulls took on the Warriors, sitting out the game with a calf injury.

Mike Dunleavy, Jr., Chicago Bulls: Dunleavy suffered through a poor-shooting week, shooting just 7-of-26—26.9 percent—in four games this week. He has averaged a respectable 11.1 points per game this year, but in an offense as dry as Chicago's, the Bulls need Dunleavy to hit his shots.

Luol Deng, Cleveland Cavaliers: Deng has settled into his role in Cleveland somewhat, although he hasn't yet had the desired impact in the win column. The Cavs are just 5-10 since the acquisition of Deng and are in the midst of a six-game losing streak, and rumors are now floating about Deng's unhappiness in the "Mistake by the Lake." For the season, he has averaged 17.6 points, 6.2 rebounds, and 3.6 assists per game.

Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers: Kyrie's stats look great, as always—averaging 21.4 points, 6.2 assists and 3.2 rebounds per game on the year, and 19.7 points, 6.3 assists and 4.3 rebounds in three games this week—but everything is under scrutiny now. Irving only played 28 minutes in Wednesday's loss to the Clippers, and with the Cavaliers struggling while Irving heads to New Orleans for the All-Star Game next weekend, look for much speculation about Irving's intangibles and future long-term—whether he wants to stay in Cleveland and, more importantly, whether he can win there.

JJ Redick, Los Angeles Clippers: Redick struggled this week, shooting a dismal 29.4 percent in two games. To add injury to insult, he sat out Wednesday's big showdown with Miami due to a left hip injury. He's averaging 15.7 points per game this season.

Ryan Kelly, Los Angeles Lakers: The Lakers continue to be shorthanded—finishing the game Wednesday with a fouled-out Robert Sacre out of necessity—but Kelly continues to be a bright spot this season. The rookie notched a career-high 26 in the win over Cleveland along with six rebounds, and he's cracked double-digits in three of his last four games, and seven of his last 10. Despite bouncing between Los Angeles and its D-League affiliate to start the year, Kelly appears to have carved out a nice niche in the big leagues with his solid play.

Shane Battier, Miami Heat: Battier doesn't have to do much in Miami's offensive scheme, but he can if called upon. He notched a season-high 16 points in a win Saturday over New York, and he followed that up with a crucial 14-point effort in a tight win over the Clippers. Battier hit four threes in each of those games, and he's now shooting 37.5% from deep this season.

Kyle Singler, Detroit Pistons: Singler, like the rest of the league, had his best game this season against the 76ers, with an efficient 20-point, 10-rebound effort on just 12 shots. He was rewarded with his second start of the season Wednesday, and he again shot well, scoring 11 points on five field goal attempts. On the season, he's averaging a respectable 8.5 points but a disappointing 3.5 rebounds and 0.6 assists per game.

Austin Rivers, New Orleans Pelicans: Getting some consistent run now, Rivers has rewarded the Pelicans with some nice play—he averaged 8.6 points over three games this past week, and even chipped in five assists Monday against San Antonio. For the season, the second year guard is averaging 5.9 points, 1.5 assists, and 1.3 rebounds per game.

Elliot Williams, Philadelphia 76ers: The sharpshooter found his range this week, dropping 15 in consecutive games Friday and Saturday, and shooting 53.8 percent from the field in four games this week. Philadelphia continues to be terrible, so Williams could find himself in a position to gain significant playing time as the 76ers limp/tank their way to the finish line.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Trouble for Irving and Deng in Cleveland” on social media.