Duke in the NBA: Singler stars, Kelly benched

Miles Plumlee, Phoenix Suns: It wasn’t a good week for Miles Plumlee or the Suns, as they lost three of four games, and find themselves hanging on to the eighth seed in the West by a half a game. Plumlee failed to get into double digits in either points or rebounds in any game, averaging 6.0 points and 6.3 rebounds. As Plumlee’s play continues to decline, he is beginning to lose minutes to rookie center Alex Len and the Morris twins.

Mason Plumlee, Brooklyn Nets: After not playing in a loss to the Warriors, the rookie big-man found himself with a rare start against the Lakers, as the Nets rested Kevin Garnett. Plumlee played pretty well during the win, scoring six points and grabbing five rebounds. Plumlee found himself back on the bench for the Nets’ final two games of the week, but scored double digits in both games, including a very solid 10-point, nine-rebound, three-block performance in a blowout win against the Nuggets.

Gerald Henderson, Charlotte Bobcats: The Bobcats played only two games this past week, and although Henderson was far from his best, they did manage to win both games. Henderson scored just seven points and grabbed one rebound in a win against the Pelicans, and followed that up with a nine-point, five-rebound performance against the Grizzlies.

Josh McRoberts, Charlotte Bobcats: Like his teammate Henderson, McRoberts didn’t play particularly well in the Bobcats two wins, averaging 9.0 points on just 31.6 percent shooting, and 3.5 rebounds. Despite their Duke duo not performing very well this past week, the good news for the Bobcats is that they have won four straight and find themselves currently occupying the six seed in the East.

Elton Brand, Atlanta Hawks: With Al Horford, Paul Millsap and Pero Antic, out injured, Brand saw some serious playing time for the Hawks this past week, playing a team-high 42 minutes in a loss to the Bulls, and a team-high 43 in a win against the lowly Knicks. Despite his massively increased playtime, Brand’s numbers didn’t improve all that much last week, as he averaged 6.3 points and 8.8 rebounds in the Hawks’ four games.

Carlos Boozer, Chicago Bulls: Boozer got off to a slow start to the week, averaging 9.0 points and 6.0 rebounds through the first two games, as the Bulls beat the Nuggets and lost to the Heat. Boozer finished his week strong though, with back-to-back double-doubles, getting 17 and 11 in a win against the Hawks, and 15 and 13 in a win against the Warriors.

Mike Dunleavy, Jr., Chicago Bulls: Dunleavy scored a team-high 22 points in the Bulls win against the Hawks last week, also adding eight rebounds and four assists as he played all 48 minutes. Dunleavy was solid the rest of the week, averaging 15.0 points and 5.3 rebounds.

Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers: It wasn’t a great week for Irving and the Cavaliers, as their seven-game win-streak was snapped, and in a matchup between two of the league’s most promising young point guards, Irving was outplayed by John Wall. The icing on the cake for the Cavaliers though was their defeat of the Thunder on Wednesday, where Irving dropped 31 points and nine assists. Irving averaged 22 points and eight assists for the week.

Luol Deng, Cleveland Cavaliers: Deng’s struggle to shoot the ball efficiently continued this past week, as he shot the ball 31.0 percent in the Cavaliers’ four games. Despite his paltry shooting, Dend did find ways to put numbers on the board, averaging 14.8 with 7.5 rebounds. Deng’s partnership with Irving has been far from a match made in heaven so far, as Deng is averaging just 14.7 points on 39.5 percent shooting in Cleveland—far worse than his numbers were when he was with the Bulls.

JJ Redick, Los Angeles Clippers: Redick remained on the sidelines with a hip injury that has kept him out since Feb. 5.

Ryan Kelly, Los Angeles Lakers: In a big disappointment for Duke fans, Kelly was benched when his former teammate and fellow rookie Mason Plumlee came to town. Kelly has seen himself fall out of favor in Mike D’Antoni’s rotation. Kelly did play sparingly in the Laker’s other three games this past week, averaging 5.0 points, 1.0 rebound, and 2.5 blocks.

Shane Battier, Miami Heat: It was another uneventful week for the NBA’s ultimate role player. Battier did have an above-average performance for himself in a win against the Knicks, scoring eight points to go along with his five assists, five rebounds, and three blocks.

Kyle Singler, Detroit Pistons: The Pistons may have lost three of four games, but Singler had a stellar week scoring the basketball. Singler averaged 15.0 points on a lights-out 63.2 shooting percentage—pretty remarkable for the newly made shooting guard.

Austin Rivers, New Orleans Pelicans: Rivers played a season-high 29 minutes in the Pelicans loss to the Clippers Monday night, scoring 10 points and dishing out three assists. Other than that, it wasn’t a very exciting week for Rivers. He averaged 6.5 points and 1.8 assists for the week.

Eliot Williams, Philadelphia 76ers: Williams continues to get solid minutes for the putrid 76ers as they do their best to overtake the Bucks for the NBA’s worst record. Williams averaged 6.5 points and 1.5 assists, as the 76ers’ losing-streak climbed to 12.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Singler stars, Kelly benched” on social media.