Duke IFC endorses 40 Percent Plan

Having listened to both representatives, the Interfraternity Council formally endorses The 40 Percent Plan. The 40 Percent Plan allows students to allocate up to 40 percent of their student activities fee and decreases the red tape inherent in the SOFC funding process, giving groups greater flexibility while leaving auditing procedures unchanged. We do not envision the IFC requesting or campaigning for a great deal of funding, like the opposition will inaccurately portray. But if allocated money by students, we will use it to host events open to the entire campus or possibly reach out to more students and improve the diversity of the rush process.

Our primary motivation in this endorsement is that The 40 Percent Plan will benefit Duke as a whole. Students will have the ability to strengthen the financial standing of their favorite clubs. This will especially help smaller groups, who lose out on funding when larger clubs, like the well-connected Chanticleer, are able to annually suck vast sums of money from the SOFC budget ($720,000 over the last six years). Clubs will be incentivized to do a better job recruiting new members, which will result in a more vibrant and active campus community. Currently, membership doesn’t necessarily dictate funding in SOFC’s minds—the event matters more than the interest, enthusiasm and activism of the people attending. We believe this is backward looking. Lastly, The 40 Percent Plan will likely result in only a 10 percent decrease in the SOFC’s current budget, factoring in the percentage of students that allocate, leaving the SOFC $630,000 for distribution. This minor 10 percent cut will lead the SOFC to be more selective, open and fair with regard to whom they award money to.

The 40 Percent Plan is essentially a financial form of representative democracy. It is a good thing that Duke students will have the right to use their money to express support of an organization. We strongly encourage all of our members and the entire Duke student body to vote YES on The 40 Percent Plan this Tuesday.

EJ Baldridge, Trinity ’15

President, Interfraternity Council

Share and discuss “Duke IFC endorses 40 Percent Plan” on social media.