Duke basketball closes out 11-day gauntlet against Virginia Tech

Fresh off a big 3-pointer in Saturday's win against Syracuse, junior Quinn Cook will look to replicate the 14-point, six-rebound performance he had against Virginia Tech last season.

After their biggest win of the season, the Blue Devils will return to action against the worst team in the ACC, playing their fifth game in 11 days.

No. 6 Duke will host conference cellar-dweller Virginia Tech Tuesday at 7 p.m. at Cameron Indoor Stadium. After gutting out a defensive struggle against then-No. 1 Syracuse, the Blue Devils will likely welcome the opportunity to face a team with just two ACC victories. But in the final game before a week-long break, fatigue could play a factor when Duke matches up against what otherwise could be considered one its weakest opponents since December.

“It started with Maryland,” Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski said. “To go to Georgia Tech and have that late night, and then Carolina and Syracuse in 48 hours—it takes its toll. We have to be really careful. [We need] to be ready because Virginia Tech is playing really well.”

The Blue Devils (22-6, 11-4 in the ACC) struggled to shoot the ball from beyond the arc in their last two contests—going a combined 12-of-43 in the loss to North Carolina and win against Syracuse—and will look to catch fire from long range with only three regular-season games left on the schedule.

Junior Quinn Cook could play a major role in getting Duke’s 3-point shooting back on track. The point guard has seen his fair share of open looks lately and is starting to capitalize. He hit three treys in the loss to North Carolina and despite shooting just 2-for-11 against Syracuse, Cook made an enormous 3-pointer down the stretch that put momentum squarely in Duke's corner.

“I don’t think Quinn has ever played poorly throughout the season,” Krzyzewski said. “In the conference, he [just] hasn’t played at the level that he did in December. I think Quinn’s got to see the ball go in and we want him to see the ball go in. Quinn’s doing okay, but we know he can do even better. Hopefully we can get him there.”

If Duke is able to knock down its open looks against the Hokies (9-17, 2-12), the Blue Devils should be able to create separation from one of the worst offensive teams in the ACC. Virginia Tech has averaged just 56.7 points per game on 37.4 percent shooting in conference play and can only hope to pull off the upset by slowing the game down.

Although the Hokie offense has been anemic, its leading scorer—senior Jarell Eddie—is always capable of putting up big numbers. The forward averages 13.4 points per game and is difficult to defend because of his ability to knock down contested outside shots.

Eddie has hit 66 3-pointers this season and is shooting 38.6 percent from beyond the arc, but has struggled in conference play because of a banged-up supporting cast. Virginia Tech’s two best guards—Ben Emologu and Adam Smith—have missed significant time this season due to injury and will not play Tuesday.

Virginia Tech’s limited options have caused the team to play a methodical style using a 2-3 zone, and the team has responded well to the adjustment. After losing four straight games by 20 or more points, the switch to zone has kept the Hokies competitive in their next four contests, earning a seven-point win against Miami and dropping the other three by single digits.

“I think the [reason] is because of the character of this team,” Virginia Tech head coach James Johnson said. “I’ve got a good group of guys and a competitive group of guys. They’re trying to make a difference. We’re being really patient on offense and slowing the game down a bunch. I’m pleased with the way the guys have adjusted.”

The Blue Devils are no stranger to teams trying slow the ball down against them, and Duke’s role players have figured out how to handle the different style. Facing another defensive-oriented team in Syracuse Saturday night, Marshall Plumlee responded well, recording four points, five rebounds and three blocks. Plumlee's night would have been even bigger had he not suffered from cramps that kept him out for most of the second half.

“We feel that [Plumlee] is the athlete he was before he was injured at the start of last season,” Krzyzewski said. “He’ll have a more and more prominent role on our team now that he’s reached that level. He’s huge going forward for us.”

Although they have had success during their recent stretch, Plumlee and his teammates will definitely be looking forward to the eight-day break that will follow Tuesday's tilt with the Hokies.

“The next eight days—some of it is to catch up on academics, health and get physically ready,” Krzyzewski said. “We won’t even talk about opponents. We’ll give them two days off between Wednesday and Sunday and start our normal week up in preparation for Wake and Carolina. They need some time away.”

Share and discuss “Duke basketball closes out 11-day gauntlet against Virginia Tech” on social media.