X factor: Duke basketball vs. Virginia

The Blue Devils take on the Cavaliers of Virginia at 7:00 p.m. at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Before every basketball game, we’ll break down a player on each team who could be the difference-maker in the upcoming contest.

Duke: forward Amile Jefferson

In Saturday’s loss to Clemson, the Blue Devils were outrebounded 48-30, including 14-8 on the offensive glass. After being pushed around inside by a physical Clemson team, Duke needs to avoid being outplayed in the paint tonight against a Cavalier team that averages almost 38 rebounds per game. Jefferson’s rebounding numbers have improved since last season, but the sophomore needs to step up and give the Blue Devils a true inside presence. We have seen flashes of his potential, especially with a 17-point performance against Kansas earlier in the season, but he has failed to put up a double-double this season. If Jefferson can emerge as a scoring and rebounding threat in tonight’s contest, chances are Duke will cruise to its 10th home win of the season.

Virginia: guard Malcolm Brogdon

The sophomore from Norcross, Ga. has taken full advantage of opposing team’s attentions being focused on explosive guard Joe Harris, who is the Cavalier’s leading scorer. Brogdon is scoring 10.1 points per game this season and is using his 6-foot-5 inch frame to grab 5.3 rebounds per match-up. He has scored in double-digits in each of his first three conference games, all Virginia wins. Although Brogdon’s assist-to-turnover ratio this season has been even thus far, he has only committed one turnover his last three ACC games. Brogdon will need to be efficient at distributing the ball, while making few mistakes against a struggling Blue Devil defense if the Cavaliers want a shot at handing Duke its second straight loss.

Share and discuss “X factor: Duke basketball vs. Virginia” on social media.