X factor: Duke basketball vs. North Carolina State

The Blue Devils take on the Wolfpack of North Carolina State at 2 p.m. at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Before every basketball game, we’ll break down a player on each team who could be the difference-maker in the upcoming contest.

Duke: guard Rasheed Sulaimon

Many saw Sulaimon fall into a mid-season slump during the past two months, but the sophomore had a season-high 21 points in the win against Virginia on Monday night, including the game-winning shot from beyond the arc. He has made quite the recovery since being benched for the Dec. 3 contest against Michigan, showing fans that he is ready to make an impact. He scored one fewer point in Monday’s game than both Rodney Hood and Jabari Parker combined for, lifting the Blue Devils to victory on a night when their two stars did not have perfect games. If Sulaimon can carry his exceptional play into today’s match-up, the Wolfpack will have its hands full even when Parker and Hood aren’t on the floor.

North Carolina State: center Jordan Vandenberg

The Blue Devils were much better on the boards against Virginia, but the Cavaliers still held a plus-three edge in rebounding. But they now face a new challenge, playing the 7-foot-1 Vandenberg, who towers above Duke’s Amile Jefferson by four inches. Vandenberg’s numbers—at 6.3 points and 5.4 rebounds per game—aren’t flashy, but he has the potential to win battles in the paint. Just ask East Carolina, who lost 90-79 at the hands of N.C. State earlier this season and whose tallest player is 6-foot-10. Vandenberg scored a career-high 18 points in that game on Dec. 21 against the Pirates. If Vandenberg can have a similar game, the Blue Devils’ troubles on the glass and in the paint will continue. If the Wolfpack want to win, Vandenberg must play physically and score inside.

Share and discuss “X factor: Duke basketball vs. North Carolina State” on social media.