HALFTIME: Duke 36, Virginia 28

Duke ended the first half with a commanding 36-28 lead over Virginia. The story of the half: Coach K substituting the entire starting lineup for the bench less than four minutes into the game, and alternating those lineups four times throughout the half.

Observations from the first half:

• Guard Matt Jones made his first career start and responded nicely, tallying only two points but playing solid defense. Fellow freshman Semi Ojeleye also made an appearance, notching two rebounds in two minutes on the floor.
  • After scoring only four points against Clemson, Rasheed Sulaimon was the Blue Devils' leading scorer, finishing the first half shooting 5-for-7 from the field with 12 points. Sulaimon also was hot beyond the arc, sinking two 3-pointers.
  • After opening the game with a quick 3-pointer, Parker did not score for the rest of the half. The freshman, who has struggled in his last few games, was only 1-for-5 from the floor.
  • Duke forced the Cavaliers to turn the ball over four times, including three times in the first 3:30 of the game. The Blue Devils, however, committed six turnovers themselves.
  • Duke's defense shone against the Cavaliers–specifically, they shut down guard Joe Harris. Harris, who scored 36 points against Duke last season, scored just five in the first half.
  • The Blue Devils outrebounded Virginia 20-14, including a team-leading seven from Amile Jefferson. Jefferson also added eight points.

Share and discuss “HALFTIME: Duke 36, Virginia 28” on social media.