Duke in the NBA: Irving and Deng not quite clicking

Miles Plumlee, Phoenix Suns: Plumlee’s play this week was slightly subpar by his standards, as he averaged 8.6 points on 48.8 percent shooting, and 7.6 rebounds per game—one point and one rebound below his season averages. The good news is that the Suns are playing great basketball, winning four out of five this past week, including a big win over the Pacers on Thursday night.

Mason Plumlee, Brooklyn Nets: With the Nets continued run of strong play and push to win the Atlantic Division, Mason found himself on the bench for all of last week. Given the Nets continued success with Mason out of the rotation, it seems likely that he will stay on the bench for much of the rest of the season, which is unfortunate because he was one of the more productive rookies earlier on this season.

Gerald Henderson, Charlotte Bobcats: Henderson didn’t have his best week for the Bobcats, but did manage to score 16 points, grab eight rebounds, and have five assists in a win over the Nuggets on Wednesday.

Josh McRoberts, Charlotte Bobcats: McRoberts failed to fill up the stat sheet in any of his games this past week, failing to score more than six points or grab more than six rebounds in any game. For the week, he averaged 5.3 points, 4.7 rebounds, and 3.0 assists.

Elton Brand, Atlanta Hawks: Despite the injury to starting center Pero Antic, Brand did not see his play time increase last week. Brand played pretty well early in the week, scoring nine points against the Spurs and 10 against the Bucks, but ended his week with an 0-for against the Thunder.

Carlos Boozer, Chicago Bulls: Boozer had a pretty good week for the Bulls, as the team continues to play decently without Derrick Rose or Luol Deng. The Bulls won two of their four games this week, with Boozer averaging 17 points and 9.8 rebounds for the week.

Mike Dunleavy, Jr., Chicago Bulls: Dunleavy scored in double figures in all four games this past week, although he didn’t shoot the ball particularly well in any of them, shooting better than 40 percent just once. Overall, Dunleavy averaged 12.3 points per game this past week on 36.2 percent shooting and 4.8 rebounds.

Luol Deng, Cleveland Cavalier: The Luol Deng-Kyrie Irving partnership has not been a match made in heaven so far, as both players are still struggling together. Deng had an inconsistent week, grabbing a double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds in a loss to the Suns, but following that up with just six points and two rebounds in a loss the Pelicans. On the week, Deng shot a lackluster 37.0 percent from the field. The Cavs have gone just 4-7 since Deng and Irving have teamed up, and if they can’t get on the same page soon, their playoff hopes will be all but over.

Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers: It wasn’t a good week for Irving as well, averaging 20.3 points in four games on 40.0 percent shooting. On top of his subpar play recently, there are now questions surrounding the third-year guard’s effort and long-term commitment to the franchise—though Irving has done his best to end rumors of his imminent departure from Cleveland.

JJ Redick, Los Angeles Clippers: Redick rebounded from a rough week shooting the ball, as the Clippers took care of business in all four of their contests against Eastern Conference opponents. Redick averaged 17.5 points per game on 53.5 percent shooting, and shot 63.2 percent from behind the arc.

Ryan Kelly, Los Angeles Lakers: Ryan Kelly seems to be Laker’s head coach Mike D’Antoni’s preferred player to start alongside Pau Gasol, as the rookie continued to see significant minutes for the Lakers. Other than getting absolutely torched by Carmelo Anthony in a loss to the Knicks, Kelly had another pretty solid week offensively. Kelly averaged 10.0 points, 2.3 rebounds, and 1.0 blocks per game, as the Lakers continued their horrible play and lost all three of their games.

Shane Battier, Miami Heat: Shane Battier’s six personal fouls were his highest total had in any statistical category this week, as the Heat took down the Spurs earlier in the week, but then fell victim to the beast that is Kevin Durant. Battier only scored three points in the loss, but added three rebounds and two assists.

Kyle Singler, Detroit Pistons: It wasn’t the best of weeks for Singler and the Pistons, but the good news is that Singler played better as the week went on. After just scoring three points on 1-for-5 shooting in a loss to the Pelicans, Singler scored nine points on 36.4 percent shooting in a loss to the Mavericks, and then scored 12 points on 57.1 percent shooting in a win over the Magic.

Austin Rivers, New Orleans Pelicans: As the Pelicans’ backcourt continues to be plagued with injuries, Rivers has seen himself get consistent minutes off the bench. Rivers had an impressive game last Friday in a win over the Pistons, scoring 15 points and adding three assists and two steals. Overall, the guard averaged nine points on 42.0 percent shooting this past week—not a bad line for the second-year player.

Eliot Williams, Philadelphia 76ers: After a putrid performance shooting the ball last week, Williams picked up his efficiency this week, shooting 42.9 percent from the field. Williams is consistently getting double-digit minutes off the bench for the Sixers, but is yet to really impress.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NBA: Irving and Deng not quite clicking” on social media.