Around the ACC: Week 11

1. Syracuse (18-0, 5-0 in the ACC): The Orange were tested twice last week, overcoming a second-half deficit at last-place Boston College before outlasting former Big East foe Pittsburgh at the Carrier Dome. Freshman Tyler Ennis and senior C.J. Fair have Syracuse in complete control of the ACC.

2. Pittsburgh (16-2, 4-1): Led by Lamar Patterson's 18 points, the Panthers gave Syracuse everything they could handle Saturday on the road. Pitt's two losses this season have come against a pair of ranked opponents by a combined six points.

3. Clemson (13-4, 4-1): K.J. McDaniels recorded another double-double to pace Clemson to a win against Wake Forest, just days after pouring in 14 points in a win against Virginia Tech. Clemson continues to win on the strength of its defense—it ranks 301st in the country in points per game—with a defensive showdown with Pitt looming this week,

4. Virginia (13-5, 4-1): The Cavaliers shook off Monday's late loss to Duke by downing Florida State 78-66 at home behind 18 points from Joe Harris. In a strange scheduling quirk, it was already the second meeting between the teams this season—Virginia also defeated the Seminoles by a 12-point margin in Tallahassee Jan. 4.

5. Duke (14-4, 3-2): The Blue Devils got big-time performances from Rasheed Sulaimon and Amile Jefferson in Monday's win against Virginia. Saturday against N.C. State, Jabari Parker seemed to get back on track by attacking the basket, as the Blue Devils forced 21 turnovers en route to a 95-60 blowout.

6. Florida State (12-5, 3-2): Leonard Hamilton's squad has to be happy they won't see Virginia for the rest of the regular season—they've taken care of everyone else in the ACC save the Cavaliers. Okaro White will have to continue to play big this week against Notre Dame and Duke.

7. Maryland (11-7, 3-2): Maryland had just one game last week, a 74-66 victory over free-falling Notre Dame. Mark Turgeon's Terps will be well-rested when they take on N.C. State in Raleigh Monday night. If Maryland wants to be on the right side of the bubble come March, these are the types of wins it has to have.

8. Wake Forest (12-6, 2-3): The Demon Deacons beat N.C. State Wednesday night on a last-second driving lay-up by guard Codi Miller-McIntyre. Wake Forest couldn't capitalize on that momentum, however, as they fell to Clemson Saturday, managing just 53 points.

9. Notre Dame (11-7, 2-3): After the high of beating Duke Jan. 4, Notre Dame lost three straight conference games—all competitive contests—before finally getting back in the win column Sunday with a victory against Virginia Tech. Mike Brey has got to be missing Jerian Grant right about now.

10. Miami (10-7, 2-3): The bad news: Miami has scored more than 60 points just once in ACC play, and was held to just 44 by the vaunted Syracuse zone. The good news: The Hurricanes have two ACC wins, one in Chapel Hill against North Carolina and the other last week against Georgia Tech, when they allowed only 42 points in a 14-point win.

11. North Carolina (11-6, 1-3): The Tar Heels breathed a sigh of relief Saturday when they earned their first conference win of the season, an 82-71 victory against Boston College. Marcus Paige scored more than 20 points for the first time since Dec. 18—as he goes, so goes North Carolina.

12. N.C. State (11-7, 1-4): If Wednesday's loss in the final minute at Wake Forest wasn't disheartening enough, the Wolfpack came out flat Saturday against Duke and never recovered. N.C. State showed its youth in a big way—failure to value the basketball on the road at Cameron Indoor Stadium is not a recipe for success.

13. Georgia Tech (10-8, 1-4): The Yellow Jackets put on a production of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde last week, scoring 74 points in a seven-point loss to Pittsburgh before an abysmal 42-point performance against Miami. Georgia Tech has somewhat of a favorable schedule this week, facing Boston College and N.C. State, although both games will be played on the road.

14. Virginia Tech (8-9, 1-4): The Hokies were competitive in each of their games this past week but wound up on the losing end of both. Virginia Tech let a six-point second half lead slip away against Clemson, then outscored Notre Dame in the second half only to see the comeback bid fall short.

15. Boston College (5-13, 1-4): The Eagles have been a disappointment this year, as the duo of Olivier Hanlan and Ryan Anderson hasn't translated into the wins many people were expecting. Boston College's lone ACC win is a three-point nailbiter against fellow cellar-dweller Virginia Tech. The Eagles did have a rough schedule last week, though, and gave both Syracuse and North Carolina a tough game.

Share and discuss “Around the ACC: Week 11” on social media.