X factor: Duke basketball vs. Eastern Michigan

The Blue Devils take on the Eagles of Central Michigan at 2 p.m. at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Before every basketball game, we’ll break down a player on each team who could be the difference-maker in the upcoming contest.

Generic Script

Duke: forward Amile Jefferson

Earlier in the season Jefferson had a spot in the starting five. On Dec. 19 against UCLA he came off the bench. Regardless of where Jefferson is to start the game, the Blue Devils’ need him to play physically down low and grab rebounds on both ends of the court. Jefferson came of the bench against the Bruins and scored 11 points, while grabbing seven rebounds in 23 minutes. Jefferson will most likely match-up against Central Michigan center Da’Shonte Riley, who has a height advantage on the 6-foot-9 Jefferson. But if Jefferson can use his athleticism to get the best of the senior and potentially draw a few fouls, the Eagles will lose a key advantage down low. It will be an interesting battle in the paint and Duke needs Jefferson to prevail.

Central Michigan: forward Karrington Ward

In two losses to ranked teams, No. 21 Massachusetts and No. 3 Kentucky, Ward has averaged 8.0 points per game. In the eight other contests this season, Ward has scored 16.5 points per contest. The Eagles only lost one of those eight games. Ward is also Eastern Michigan’s leading rebounder at 6.2 rebounds per game and is shooting a 48 percent from the field this season. The bottom line is that Ward needs to score early and often if the Eagles want to follow in the footsteps of unranked teams like Vermont and East Carolina and have any shot at an upset. If Eastern Michigan wants to do the unthinkable, Ward needs to have a breakout game.

Share and discuss “X factor: Duke basketball vs. Eastern Michigan” on social media.