Top 10 stories of 2013: The Return, part II

As a busy year in sports winds to a close, The Blue Zone
will count down the top 10 Duke stories of 2013. Check back throughout the week as we review the most memorable moments of the year.

7. The Return, part II

2012 was supposed to be Mike Krzyzewski's victory lap with USA Basketball. Blowing past the competition en route to a second straight gold medal at the Olympic Games in London, Krzyzewski planned to step away from his post coaching the national team after compiling a pristine 62-1 record in seven years at the helm.

Generic Script

But once he thought he was out, USA Basketball Chairman Jerry Colangelo found a way to pull him back in. Krzyzewski accepted an invitation May 23 to coach the Americans through the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro .

“Everyone that has been involved with USA Basketball over the last seven years has come to realize just what an honor it has been,” Krzyzewski said. “When the 2008 Olympics, the 2010 World Championship and the 2012 Olympics were all finished, I really thought it would be the end of my time coaching international basketball.... Now that I am doing it, I can tell you that I am doing it with 100 percent commitment and passion.”

Generic Script

In the process of announcing he would coach his country for another four years, Kzyzewski indirectly committed to staying at Duke through 2016 as well.

“I don’t think anybody should coach the [Olympic] team unless they are coaching—you have to stay sharp,” Krzyzewski said. “I wasn’t sure before how much longer I might coach. But now I don’t see an end. Obviously I’m not going to end before the Olympics.”

Generic Script

Although coaching the national team has placed an additional burden on Krzyzewski's plate during his first seven years at the helm and forced his Duke staff to adapt, Duke University President Richard Brodhead said that coaching in the Olympics has actually helped to prolong the Duke head coach's career, not shorten it.

“Duke didn’t lose any of Mike Krzyzewski by having him becoming the coach of the Olympic team,” Brodhead said. “He has come back from that process so energized, that I think he has been more into coaching at Duke in his Olympic years than he ever was before.”

Upon hearing the news, NBA stars around the league began rallying support for Krzyzewski and committing to play in the next Olympic cycle. The United States' first step toward a three-peat atop the medal podium in Rio will be the upcoming 2014 FIBA World Championships in Spain this summer.

Check out the rest of The Blue Zone's
top 10 stories of 2013:

3. The Comeback—Duke lacrosse rallies from 2-4 start, five-goal deficit to win national championship

4. The Commitments—Building Duke's monster 2014 recruiting class on the hardwood

5. The Expansion—ACC grows to 15 teams

6. The Return, part III—Andre Dawkins makes his long-awaited return to the Blue Devils

7. The Return, part II—Coach K commits to Team USA and Duke through 2016

8. The Return, part I—Ryan Kelly goes for 36 against Miami in his first game back from injury

9. The Leg—Kevin Ware sparks Louisville to Elite Eight victory against Blue Devils

10. The Pick—Sean Renfree becomes Duke's first NFL draft selection since 2004

Honorable Mentions

Share and discuss “Top 10 stories of 2013: The Return, part II” on social media.