Thoughts on the AP Poll: Week 9

It was a quiet week in college basketball because of the Christmas holiday, but there were a few notable weekend games that still impacted this week's AP Poll:

Blue Devils Rise

After Christmas break, the Blue Devils (10-2) returned to the hardwood for a Saturday contest against Eastern Michigan at Cameron Indoor Stadium and pulled away in the second half for a 82-59 win led by freshman forward Jabari Parker and graduate student Andre Dawkins, who canned six 3-pointers. Because Villanova and Louisville lost, Duke rose two spots in this week's poll and is now No. 7 with a final nonconference game against Elon in Greensboro on New Year's Eve and the ACC opener at Notre Dame looming.

Wildcats Suffer First Loss

In a battle of former Big East, undefeated teams, No. 2 Syracuse (12-0) handed Villanova (11-1) its first loss of the season 78-62 at the Carrier Dome on Saturday in a game that was much closer than the score indicated. The Orange overcame an early 27-11 deficit with a 20-0 run led by freshman guard Tyler Ennis and sophomore guard Trevor Cooney, who combined for 41 points, and extended a late lead with a flurry of late free throws. The Wildcats were unable to continue the hot shooting that gave them the early lead against Syracuse's zone and suffered their first loss of the season, falling to No. 11 in this week's poll after being ranked eighth last week.

Cardinals Lose Rivalry Game

After falling to No. 19 North Carolina earlier this season because of their inability to gain an advantage inside, Louisville (11-2) fell 73-66 on Saturday to Kentucky (10-3) at Rupp Arena because of the inability of the Cardinal frontcourt to get going inside, giving the young Wildcats bragging rights in the annual rivalry. Kentucky freshman sensation and forward Julius Randle scored 17 points but left the game early in the second half because of cramps—luckily for head coach John Calipari, the rest of the Wildcats were able to continue dominating in the paint without their start to preserve the win. With their biggest win of the season, Kentucky rose three spots and is now No. 15 while the Cardinals are now No. 14 after being ranked sixth last week.

Share and discuss “Thoughts on the AP Poll: Week 9” on social media.