The road to Charlotte: Duke football vs. Wake Forest

Duke gave up two touchdowns to open the contest, but came back to down the Deacons on the road.

Game synopsis: The Blue Devils looked sloppy to start the game, and Wake Forest jumped out to a 14-0 lead. Duke stormed back in the second quarter to tie the game at 14-14 heading into the locker room at halftime. The Demon Deacons scored a touchdown on the opening drive of the second half to retake the lead, but then the Blue Devil defense took over. Wake Forest would finish the game with just 248 yards of total offense, and Anthony Boone led two touchdown drives in the third quarter to give Duke a lead it would not relinquish. The Demon Deacons had a chance to tie the game late in the fourth quarter, but cornerback Ross Cockrell intercepted a pass from Wake Forest quarterback Tanner Price with less than three minutes to play to secure the victory for the Blue Devils.

The quote: "I don't think I've been around a group of players that have committed to doing everything you ask them to do as well as this team," Duke head coach David Cutcliffe said. "I'm just a little bit almost at a loss for words because the emotions are pretty strong of what those guys accomplished. The nine wins—72 years is a long time."

Key stats: Boone registered a 83% completion percentage on 29 pass attempts. The redshirt junior threw for 256 yards and three touchdowns.

Milestone alert: Duke secured its ninth win of the season, the first time the Blue Devils won nine games in a season since 1941.

Share and discuss “The road to Charlotte: Duke football vs. Wake Forest” on social media.