The road to Charlotte: Duke football vs. Pittsburgh

Duke put 55 on the scoreboard but that wasn't enough to beat the Panthers.

Game Synopsis: In a wild shootout at Wallace Wade Stadium that featured more than 1,100 combined yards of total offense between Duke and Pittsburgh, the Panthers prevailed 58-55 behind six touchdowns from quarterback Tom Savage. With backup quarterback Brandon Connette making his second start of the season, the Blue Devils had no problem putting points on the board, but could not seem to take care of the football. Connette accounted for six touchdowns and four interceptions on the afternoon, including a crucial pick-six in the fourth quarter that made the ultimate difference in the game. Strong defensive play in the second half had Duke within striking distance in the game's closing minutes, but it was too little, too late for the Blue Devils en route to their second straight loss.

The Quote: "When you throw pick sixes and you throw four in a game and you're still competing at the level that he did, that is a defining moment as a football player," head coach David Cutcliffe said. "It's very difficult to be the one to make those mistakes.... He's got better and will continue to get better. I am a believer in Brandon Connette."

Key Stats: Brandon Connette racked up 323 yards through the air and another 101 on the ground, and Jamison Crowder picked up 279 all-purpose yards with superb play on both offense and special teams.

Milestone Alert: Connette's six touchdowns and four interceptions were both career highs. Crowder also became the first Duke player to rush, receive and return a kick for a touchdown in the same game since current wide receivers coach Scottie Montgomery accomplished the feat in 1999.

Share and discuss “The road to Charlotte: Duke football vs. Pittsburgh” on social media.