The road to Charlotte: Duke football vs. Navy

Duke righted the ship against Navy, holding the Midshipmen to a single touchdown.

Game Synopsis: After Brandon Connette was a late scratch due to an ankle injury suffered in practice, Anthony Boone—in his first game back since breaking his collarbone four weeks prior—torched the Midshipmen and shook off any talk of not being physically ready to play in a decisive 35-7 victory against Navy. Boone completed 31-of-38 attempts for 295 yards and three touchdowns after finding out he would be the starter less than an hour before kickoff. After a scoreless first quarter, Duke took a 7-0 lead, Navy would answer with a touchdown on the next drive before combining for one interception, two fumbles and three punts on its final six drives of the game.

The Quote: “It’s good that [Anthony Boone is] back because I really didn't know were he stood with the shoulder injury,” wide receiver Jamison Crowder said. “To see him come back in, get his confidence back and make throws like that, I think it’s good. It’s going to help us build our confidence as we get ready to go into ACC play.”

Key Stat: Duke scored on five straight drives, starting with a 27-yard strike from Boone to Issac Blakeney with 9:52 left in the second quarter. The Blue Devil offense would go on to outscore the Midshipmen 28-0 in the final 34:35 of the game.

Milestone Alert: The game was the first time in the 2013 season that Duke's defense held an FBS-opponent scoreless in the fourth quarter, something the Blue Devils would go on to do four times in the regular season.

Share and discuss “The road to Charlotte: Duke football vs. Navy” on social media.